View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Iron Maiden -- Austin, TX -- September 10th, 2013

God, tonight was fun! Ever since I heard that this show was happening in...June or so, I'd been trying to get a ticket, but it wasn't until just yesterday that I managed to snag one (a lawn ticket), and a friend of mine in tow didn't get his until he got to the gate. Thanks to my geographical location and traffic, my 4:45 departure wound up getting me to the amphitheater around 6:50, which, for about thirty-five miles, was fucking ridiculous.

After standing in line and getting merch, I tried to wait for a friend and wound up seeing smearCampaign again, however Megadeth's intro split through that plan and in the resulting dash to the lawn, I missed the first half of Hangar 18. The rest of the set was amazing; Dave sounded better, his setlist didn't suck, the movie clips where the actors mentioned the band were quite amusing, and for once, he didn't spout politics that night...maybe because Austin was the home of InfoWars or some shit like that, who knows? Anyway, not opening with Trust and putting in Tornado of Souls, Wake Up Dead and In My Darkest Hour were really cool to me, since I'd never seen Megadeth before...and honestly, if Megadeth keeps this up, I'd honestly love to see them again.

Megadeth

Hangar 18
Wake Up Dead
In My Darkest Hour
Sweating Bullets
Kingmaker
Tornado of Souls
Symphony of Destruction
Peace Sells
--------
Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

After Megadeth, I blew $10 on arena water, chugged it down, and immediately had to piss, so I went to the port-a-potties and wound up waiting ten minutes in line to be greeted to an overflowing plastic hell. After that, I got a couple of posters and a flag before heading back to my seat to kill time before Maiden went on, which they did at roughly 9:00.

Maiden, as they did before in San Antonio, fucking killed it, despite it being a complete rehash of what I saw a year earlier. I didn't care. Their set was crushing and devoid of filler. Hearing Bruce talking to the audience was always rather humorous, as he described how the band was offering "free water - just come onstage by the ice, wait for the pyro to kick in", and his introduction during Running Free ripped on his bandmates, calling Adrian Smith "The man who can afford a Jackson, but not fucking play it", for instance. The majority of their set was a trip to watch, as it involved a healthy chunk of audience participation, theatrics, and the band feeding off of the audience responses. The show ended around 10:45 or so, and we waited around a bit to let some of the...several thousand people go by before my buddy, smear and I got to leave (once again, thanks for the ride!).

With four hours, seventeen cries of "Scream for me, Austin!", and a bruised ribcage later, I definitely feel like every penny was worth it.

Iron Maiden

Doctor Doctor (tape)
Moonchild
Can I Play with Madness
The Prisoner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Phantom of the Opera
Run to the Hills
Wasted Years
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Clairvoyant
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden
--------
Aces High (with Churchill's speech)
The Evil That Men Do
Running Free (with "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" tape outro)
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 09-11-2013 at 01:33 AM.