View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
N00B

Wintersun -- Ybor City, FL -- September 4th, 2013

We arrived in Ybor City for the show around 4:30 because we were interviewing the lead vocalist for Fleshgod Apocalypse, who is one of the coolest guys I've ever interviewed. Interview went great, and when we were done, we went and got food and then I headed inside once the doors opened.

The first band of the night were locals Promethean Horde. I've been a fan of these guys for a while but was never able to see them, so I was glad they were added to the show. Promethean Horde are a symphonic blackened metal band, they have a very interested yet intense tone, and they definitely impressed the crowd, and impressed Wintersun in the process. They were a great way to start off the show.

Up next were the first band on the tour package, Starkill. I wasn't really sure what to expect with this band as I had only ever heard one song by them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Starkill to me are like a more improved version of Children Of Bodom, the got the crowd going pretty early and never let up. Starkill definitely won over the crowd, they even got an ovation for half the crowd after their set, they looked like kids in a candy shop after that. Starkill had also announced they were recently signed to Century Media, which makes sense, I have a feeling this band are going to be big soon.

Next were Arsis. There's not much I can say about Arsis other than they are one of the most spot on and extremely tight bands I've ever seen, and that James Malone is one of the best extreme metal vocalist/guitarists out there right now. I will definitely have to check this band out live again, hopefully with a longer set.

And now it was time for the band I was mainly there for, the mighty Fleshgod Apocalypse. I am a fan of classical music, and it was irritated me hearing all of these other bands trying to fuse together classical and extreme metal only to sound like complete garbage, but not Fleshgod, they are without a doubt the best band at doing it. Fleshgod Apocalypse blasted through their 50 minute set which really only felt like 10, and I loved every bit of it. Their pianist is without a doubt the most badass musician out there, getting up from his piano to give the crowd a death stare while throwing up the horns. And me being a drummer, it was an absolute pleasure getting to watch Francesco Paoli play live, and at the end of The Egoism he BROKE his foot pedal while playing, which is one of the most metal things I've ever seen. The high point of the entire show was watching them play The Forsaken, it was insanely heavy and intense, but beautiful at the same time. Fleshgod Apocalypse are in my opinion a must see band if you're even slightly a fan, they definitely stole the show.

And last but not least it was time for Wintersun. In blatant honesty I was at times slightly bored during their performance, they played their music nearly perfectly, but just something about watching them left me feeling slightly underwhelmed. But that's not to say the crowd didn't go crazy for them, a massive amount of the crowd were singing along to every word. The one thing I enjoyed most about their set was watching Jari play his solos, the guy is a phenomenal guitarist, as well as a vocalist.

All in all this was easily one of the two best concerts I've been to all year, every band are worth seeing live.
---

Wintersun

1)When Time Fades Away
2)Sons Of Winter And Stars
3)Land Of Snow And Sorrow
4)Beautiful Death
5)Darkness And Frost
6)Time
7)Death And The Healing
8)Intro
9)Winter Madness
10)Beyond The Dark Sun