View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Old Guy

I just noticed this thread and agree mostly with your ratings but differ with some. I think you have rated Hell Awaits way too high and Reign in Blood too low, IMO Hell Awaits is forgettable except that the title track is awesome and the last track is good too. In advance I will agree with others and complain if Beneath the Remains doesn't get 10/10.

In 1986 Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood were the albums that made even kids in the suburbs like me notice thrash. I think all 3 of those records went gold and would be in my hypothetical Thrash Hall of Fame, not just for the greatness of the records themselves but the influence they had. Remember that there was no internet in 1986, radio wouldn't touch this stuff and MTV's Headbangers Ball wouldn't touch much of it and word of mouth/record sales and promotion was the only way a lot of people heard good music at all. A lot of people here seem to dismiss Master of Puppets as being the start of Metallica's sellout streak but for someone in 1986 who was first discovering this kind of music, it made a great start.

Totally agree with you with 5/10 for Detente, it gave no hint of the genius that Dawn Crosby would find with Fear of God's Within the Veil, one of the best albums of all time but you won't get to that one for several more years. Keep 'em coming!