View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Stag
Released on July 15th, 1996
Label: Mammoth/Atlantic

King Buzzo – guitar, vocals, all instruments on Hide, moog on Soup, bass on Sterilized, drums on Lacrimosa
Mark D. – bass, all instruments on Yacobs Lab, moog on Soup, baritone guitar and piano on Skin Horse, guitar on The Bit, Bar-X the Rocking M, The Bloat, Tipping the Lion, Black Bock, Sterilized, Lacrimosa and Skin Horse
Dale C. – drums, percussion, sitar on The Bit, guitar on The Bit and Sterilized, bongos on Black Bock, moog on Soup, all instruments on Cottonmouth
Dirty Walt – Valve Trombone on Bar-X the Rocking M
Mac Mann – organ and grand piano on Bar-X the Rocking M
GGGarth - vocals on Black Bock
Dr. Beat – moog on Soup
Bill Bartell – guitar on Sterilized
Mackie Osbourne – drums on Lacrimosa

1. The Bit
2. Hide
3. Bar-X the Rocking M
4. Yacobs Lab
5. The Bloat
6. Tipping the Lion
7. Black Bock
8. Goggles
9. Soup
10. Buck Owens
11. Sterilized
12. Lacrimosa
13. Skin Horse
14. Captain Pungent
15. Berthas
16. Cottonmouth

The bands final album on a major label. By 1996 labels had realized that there would never be another Nirvana so a lot of bands, such as the Melvins, were dropped. I’m not one hundred percent sure but I’m sure they came out of this whole endeavor with some money. They weren’t even entirely on Atlantic for this album; they got shuffled to one of their subsidiaries Mammoth, which was a cool alternative rock label that they probably would’ve been better suited on in the first place anyway. This is a really cool album. There are a lot of straight up rockers (the Bit, Tipping the Lion, Captain Pungent, Berthas) but a lot of fucked up stuff that could’ve been off Prick (Hide, Yacobs Lab, Cottonmouth), so it’s like a combination of Prick and Stoner Witch. It also has two of the creepiest Melvins songs ever recorded; Sterilized and Lacrimosa. When I first heard those songs I was really taken by surprise. I can hear the Melvins of later years taking shape on this album but it’s still really good.
Best Song(s): Sterilized and Lacrimosa (you have to listen to both to get the full effect)
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-14-2013 at 08:39 AM.