View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

The Recorded History of: the Melvins

I have a love/hate relationship with the Melvins. I do consider them one of my favorite bands. They’ve released a ton of stuff over the years and a lot of it (the post-2000 stuff especially) I really don’t enjoy. But, anything they released in the 1990’s was some of the best music I’ve heard in my life. If their career was entirely made up of music that good they would, without a doubt, be my favorite band. But they released a lot of shit I don’t like. And quite a bit of stuff I’ve never bothered with since I know I wouldn’t like it (again, most post-2000 stuff). But the good stuff is so damn good. That’s why I’m doing this. So this is going to be a different history lesson than my Napalm Death thread because I won’t hold back on anything I didn’t like. I think I’ll even give the albums scores this time around.

So I got into the Melvin's around 1998. I'd known about them since the mid-1990's but never paid them much attention. My friend in college was getting into them and he bought Hodini and Honky and we thought both were awesome. I sort of forgot about them until early 2001 when I was unemployed. I wasted my days on Napster and started downloading all their albums. And I couldn't believe that every album I downloaded was better than the last. I was able to get everything they had out before Napster closed down. But I felt guilty "stealing" all this music from such a great band, so I went out and purchased it all legally. I'm going to include all the "main" releases but there are too many split seven inches and singles out there for me to keep track of.
11/01 - Suffocation
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 08-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.