View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

i assume my previous post was deleted due to the cover art. Well, here's the review without it, ya prudes!

Massive Appendage - The Severed Erection - December 23, 1986

When you come across an album that looks as ridiculous as this one does, your first thought is that it will be hilariously awful. With song titles like "The Essence of Sperm" and "A.N.A.L. Spices", how could this be anything but a riot? Suprisingly though, once you get past the pretty shitty production, The Severed Erection is a pretty competent thrash album. The first two tracks, "Ejaculator" and the title track are good examples of well written thrash songs, as long as you can ignore the juvenile lyrics. The guitar playing is excellent throughout, leading one to wonder if these Aussies could have flown higher if they had decided to create a more intelligent image for themselves. There are far worse bands who had multiple releases in the 80's than Massive Appendage, yet because of their idiotic choice of a band name and album cover very few people outside of Sydney probably ever heard this album until the internet age.

Let me leave you with this: The chorus of the song "Massive Appendage" goes something like this, from what I can make out, "Massive cocks flying through the atmosphere. Oh my god they shot a load in his ear." Seriously. I could be hearing it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what they're saying.

Standouts: The Severed Erection, Ejaculator

Score: 5/10