View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
If I were as hard-nosed as people made me out to be I'd be pissed that you ranked this classic equally with Master of Puppets (and .5 lower than Peace Sells).
Well, I'll put it this way: Although I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to, I still listen to Master of Puppets front to back every once in a while. Darkness Descends? Hardly ever. I've got Merciless Death and Death is Certain on thrash mixes, among others, but I really have to be in the mood for it to listen to Darkness Descends all the way through. So from the standpoint of being ultra-aggressive, heads-down thrash the likes of which hadn't really been seen at that point, yes Darkness Descends destroys Master of Puppets. However, for listenability (lol is that even a word?), catchiness and overall song composition, I favour Master of Puppets by a long shot. That's why I rate the two album the same. Of course if we were getting down to actually ranking them, I'd probably give Puppets a flat 90 and Darkness would get like a 92.

As for Peace Sells? That album is head-and-shoulders above them. It's pretty much a top 5 thrash album, all-time.