View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
Fuck the fucking Boris essay! Seriously, how is that guy the authority on all things Metallica or thrash?! I'm not going to spend one more second of my life reading a bullshit essay from a 24-year-old thrash troll! I'll admit, the Lars Ulrich of 2013 is somebody I want nothing to do with. He's an awful, lazy drummer and comes off as an arrogant prick. Granted, the Lars Ulrich of 1986 was probably a little snot, but he wasn't plotting to ruin heavy metal and he certainly wasn't trying to show his artistic honesty. Of all the big thrash bands, Metallica were still the ones who were the most rooted in the NWOBHM sound mostly, I would assume, because Lars was a massive fan and in turn made his bandmates massive fans, and they never really stopped dipping into that well... until the 90's, that is, but that's when Lars becomes Lar$, and the arrogant egomaniac comes to be.
He's an authority an all things thrash because he busted his ass writing more thrash reviews than any other sub-genre of metal. Hell, he had respectable authority because he had more reviews than just about anyone on metal-archives for awhile there. Not to mention he did more thrash reviews than any other person on that site. He talked about Kublai Khan, who to this day no one has ever heard of. People give him shit for attacking Opeth, Nevermore, In Flames and Faith No More, and I suppose there is some credence to criticizing why a thrash fan's negative opinion on those bands should be even showcased, but when it comes to actual thrash, he did his homework! I mean for fuck's sake, he's the only person I've ever heard even talk about Kublai Khan!