View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 PM
The infection has been removed, the soul of this machine has improved!

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
This has probably been done before but I can't remember seeing it in the last year. So what's your favorite song? Not your favorite song by ten different bands: one song. You can change it later if you want but if you change it then it probably isn't your favorite song. If you even really have to think about it it may not be your favorite song. Post a link to share and a little story telling why.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) from the album Yanqui U.X.O.

My favorite song. I'm big on albums having a really strong closing song. It leaves you breathless, makes you reflect on what you just heard and lasts with you hours after it's done. A song that's so good you actually feel sad that it's over. Mutherfucker=Redeemer (Part 2) is that song for me. It starts out pretty slow and mythotical for the first couple of minutes then breaks into that jangly main part. There's so much going on that it takes a few listens for you to realize all of it. It's pretty muddy sounding too so you really have to pay close attention to what's going on. But the rewards are worth it. There are three guitars going on, some of it in the background so when you notice it the song is taken to a whole other level. Then around seven minutes in it falls apart and that outro starts. That's what brings this album from "good song" to "best song ever". There are really few words and phrases to describe that part. "Jesus Christ"? "Holy Shit"? "Fuuuuuuuck"? This expression: Those are the best ones I can think of. This song could have been thirty minutes long and it would still be the best song ever. But since it's so short (ten minutes) it leaves you wanting more. But sometimes you have to know when to quit while youíre ahead. Godspeed You! Black Emperor knew and it made for the best closing to an album ever. There are lots of songs I like but they come up on iTunes or my iPod and I'll skip them. I don't skip this song. I first heard this song ten years ago. It was late at night and I was watching TV when I was listening to the whole album. There was some foreign film playing on whatever channel I was watching and the visuals from that movie matched up perfectly with this song. It was a surreal experience. The song has been my favorite song ever since and nothing else has come close.
I know exactly every word of which you speak. Sadly, I can't do that for one song. It's just not possible...because there's so many songs like the one you posted it's bananas. Closers to albums that leave you breathless? I guess you need to listen to the whole album for perspective and maximum impact, but here's a few.

Amorphis - Summer's End
Burzum - Tomhet
Goo Goo Dolls - So Far Away

The Maiden section:
When The Wild Wind Blows
The Legacy
Only The Good Die Young
The Unbeliever - yes I mean it

My Dying Bride - A Doomed Lover
U2 - Cedars Of Lebanon
ZZ Top - Asleep In The Desert

Sorry I couldn't do what you asked, for me it's not a possibility. But hopefully, someone here clicks on a link from a song they haven't heard and is inspired enough to feel what I feel.