View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Some People Call Me The White Devil

Warped Tour -- Tinley Park, IL -- July 20th, 2013

Another great Warped Tour down.

Arrived at the venue around 10:20 or so and noticed already like 1,000 people in line so I hopped in line. A few minutes after I heard for $5 you can cut the line so I found the tent, payed the money, and got my bracelet only to find out the place to cut the line was on the other side of the amphitheater. After a few minute walk I arrive to what is a complete unorigized mess. It turned out that for cut the line there was no line and since it seemed like 2,000 other people bought it as well everyone was just in a huge crowd pushing their way in. So after 20 minutes of waiting and pushing my way up I finally arrived inside still early enough to wander around and buy my schedule for the day.

First up I randomly decided to check out the Spotify stage since I was standing by it and watched Crizzly play. Crizzly is a DJ with a frontman / rapper. They were highly entertaining to watch and the crowd was going nuts for them. Their frontman was jumping all over, leaning over the stage, and diving off the stage. Multiple times during their set he would jump off stage and walk through the crowd before getting in the pit and going nuts. For another few songs he was bringing girls from the crowd on stage to dance. During their remix of Rage Against The Machines “Killing In The Name” he threw the mic into the pit a few times for the crowd to rap the lyrics. Don’t know the set but I know there was the RATM remix, a Kendrick Lamar remix, and a remix of “Do Your Chain Hang Low by Jibbs”

Next while waiting for Zach I walked some of Silverstein who sounded really generic. For a while I thought they were Oh, Sleeper actually because I had my stages confused.

Watched a little over half of MC Lars‘ set and he was pretty good. Having a live drummer really helped him I think and he sounded pretty tight during his raps.

MC Lars Set :
White Kids Aren’t Hyphy
Hurricane Fresh
21 Concepts
Straight Outta Stockholm
This Gigantic Robot Kills
Space Game
Flow Like Poe
Hey There Ophelia
Download This Song
Mr. Raven

Defeater were the next band up to watch and they disappointed me. They did nothing for me musically and it seemed the crowd was split too. A good amount of singing along but I found them quite boring.

Defeater set :

The Red, White and Blues
Warm Blood Rush
Blessed Burden
Waves Crash, Clouds Roll
I Don’t Mind
But Breathing
Cemetery Walls
Prophet in Plain Clothes
Empty Glass
Cowardice

Went back over to the Spotify stage to check out Five Knives. Five Knives is kinda electronic pop rock band and were pretty entertaining to watch. Their lead singer Anna Worstell sounded good (and looked good). They left enough of a impression on me to check them out. I don’t have a set for them though.

Checked out Beebs And Her Money Makers out next over at the Insidious 2 stage. They were pretty much a No Doubt wannabe ska band but still pretty decent. All the members dress is overly colorful almost clown like clothes. Also their merch tent was covered in ads for Ripleys Believe It Or Not, still trying to figure out why they are sponsored by them. No set from them.

Went to the amphitheater next to sit down and watched Goldhouse. They turned out to be a generic radio rock sounding band. Their lead singer didn’t sound too bad but he had that really girly sounding singing voice. No set.

Went back to the Monster stage next to meet up with Zach to check out Upon A Burning Body. As I told him they should their name to “Latino Breakdown Core” because that is pretty much what all of it was. I mean they even opening with a breakdown. Hearing the crowd sing the Texas Anthem was pretty funny. I did laugh though with the fact that even in insane heat all the guys in the band still came out dressed like “gangsters”. UABB were okay but their songs blended together a lot.

Upon A Burning Body Set :

Showtime
Intermission
Devil’s Advocate
Mimic
El Mariachi
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Game Over
Texas Blood Money
Sin City

Watched a few minutes of Handguns, who did nothing for me before going to watch Letlive. Letlive in short was pure chaos to say the least. Right away their lead singer Jason was throwing a trash can around the stage before jumping, spinning, running, and just throwing himself around the stage. During their set he also jumped off anything on the stage he could, hung from the rafters of the stage and swung from the rafters as well. Watching Jason cry singing about his mom brought the crowd to a emotional stage singing along and cheering him on right before Jason went back to being a maniac. Letlive in 30 minutes made me a big fan.

Letlive Set :

Le Prologue
The Sick, Sick, 6.8 Billion
H. Ledger
Banshee (Ghost Fame)
Muther
27 Club
Renegade 86′

The Wonder Years were next and as always they give nothing but 100%. They had a huge crowd on the main stage and pretty much everyone sang along the entire time. It was the same set I saw on the 24 hour tour but that didn’t stop me from jumping and singing along. Soupy was jumping from the amps and spinning around non stop while singing with all his passion. The rest of the band was running around the stage as well. Singing the new songs along with Don’t Let Me Cave in was beyond words.

The Wonder Years Set :

Passing Through a Screen Door
Local Man Ruins Everything
Woke Up Older
Washington Square Park
Dismantling Summer
Don’t Let Me Cave In
The Bastards, The Vultures, The Wolves
Logan Circle
Came Out Swinging

Was feeling tired and about to pass out so I grabbed some over priced food and sat in the amphitheater and unfortunately watched Allstar Weekend. They are fake, teeny bop, pop rock, generic music. Their lead singer also did the gayest moves on stage. Thankfully the shade and food kept my mind off them.

The Early November was next and surprised me again. They were more of a radio hard rock band I’d say but had some great energy and their songs sounded good.

Caught Young London next who sound like the band Fun but with more of a electronic vibe. They were amazing and even better when they did a cover of We Are Young by FUN. Their two singers sounded great and their female vocalist sounded great.

Like Moths To Flames were next and they were okay. Huge crowd for them and their bassist is always entertaining to watch. Their singer did sound kind of worn out though.

Like Moth To Flames Set :
The Worst In Me
Something to Live For
Learn Your Place
The Blackout
GNF
I Solemnly Swear
You Won’t Be Missed

Caught Story Of The Year next who were a send back to 2008 for me. They were actually the first live band I ever saw at my first concert ever (Warped Tour 2008). They had a decent sized crowd for them.

Story Of The Year Set :
And the Hero Will Drown
The Antidote
Wake Up
Anthem of Our Dying Day
In the Shadows
Ocean Avenue/Cute Without the “E”/I’m Not Okay/The Taste of Ink
Until the Day I Die

Rdgldgrn (RedGoldGreen) was next and another nice surprise. They were a full band with a rapper who also sung. He would go from fast raps to a nice slower singing voice and the crowd was eating it up. They also got a huge roar from everyone when they did a small bit for Wu Tang Clan.

Rdgldgrn Set :

Lootin In London
Hey O
Stranger
Doing the Most
Bang Bang
I Love Lamp
Double Dutch
Million Fans

Next up was one of my favorite bands of all time, The Black Dahlia Murder. The crowd for them was huge and nonstop wild. Trevor sounded amazing and he’s the only frontman in metal who can smile and scream at the same time. Alan on drums was killing it. It was a tight set and the new songs sounded great. They had two apes come out during “Statutory Apes”. I wish they would of played “Raped In Hatred By Vines Of Thorns” though. They are doing a fall US tour though.

The Black Dahlia Murder Set :

In Hell Is Where She Waits For Me
Goat of Departure
Into The Everblack
Statutory Ape
What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
Unhallowed
Funeral Thirst

The Chariot were next and they were good but not as crazy as I wanted. They lead singer moved around some and got into the crowd at one point. The bassist was nuts swinging around and got in the crowd and ran the circle pit was playing but I felt during their set like I was still waiting for the crazy stuff I’ve heard about them doing. Letlive blew them away in crazy points.

The Chariot Set :

The Audience
Forget
Not
Teach
Love.
And Shot Each Other
Before there was Atlanta, there was Douglasville
Back to Back
The Deaf Policemen

Big Chocolate was next and as usual he was great. He played mainly new material so it wasn’t the huge bass dropping dubstep he use to have. Watching him though is where the fun is at. The faces he makes while playing or the moves he pulls are laugh worthy. Also his mustache is great. Don’t remember the set.

Finally Stick To Your Guns closed the show and were my favorite of the day. STYG are in the top tier of hardcore bands on the scene right now I think. Their show is full of intense hardcore, singalongs, and meaning lyrics and speeches and this was no different. They played inside the amphitheater and filled the place pretty well. Singing along to every song made me forget being tired, burnt, and ready to sleep. Jesse was moving nonstop as well was the rest of the band. From where I was (about 8 feet from the stage) I could see the guys in Letlive watching and the bassist to Like Moths To Flames watching the set. Right as the breakdown hit for “What Comes Around” Jason from Letlive did a full spring from the back of the stage and did a huge stagedive which made Jesse almost drop his mic from laughing. Which as Jason hit the rail to and security tried to help him he stood on the rail and did a front flip back onto the crowd. STYG said they will be back for a fall tour. They brought Warped Tour to a amazing end.

Stick To Your Guns Set :

Diamond
Against Them All
Such Pain
Bringing You Down
Empty Heads
We Still Believe
What Goes Around
Amber