View Single Post
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Smear Campaign
Released on September 15th, 2006
Label: Century Media

Line-up:
Unchanged
Anneke van Giersbergen - guest vocals on In Deference and Weltschmerz (Extended Version)

1. Weltschmerz
2. Sink Fast, Let Go
3. Fatalist
4. Puritanical Punishment Beating
5. When All is Said and Done
6. Freedom in the Wage of Sin
7. In Deference
8. Short-Lived
9. Identity Crisis
10. Shatter Existence
11. Eyes Right Out
12. Warped Beyond Logic
13. Rabid Wolves (For Christ)
14. Deaf and Dumbstruck (Intelligent Design)
15. Persona Non Grata
16. Smear Campaign
17. Call That and Option? (Bonus Track)
18. Atheist Runt (Bonus Track)
19. Weltschmerz (Extended Version) (Bonus Track)

If there were an album to end Napalm Deaths career with this wouldíve been it. Napalm Death usually donít have very strong closers to their albums (very often they donít have very strong openers either). What I mean is, their albums are usually just fifteen songs in some order, no ominous intro or epic closer. But Smear Campaign ends in a way that if it was the last song the band ever put to tape it wouldíve been the perfect closing to an epic career. Thankfully they havenít ceased to be and are still going strong seven years later. This is a really strong album as well. The Code is Red...Long Live the Code has a few more "catchy" songs which may be why I love that album just a little bit more than this one. Itís incredible that they put out two of their best albums only a year and a half apart from one another. Usually, when a band releases a follow-up so quickly the second album seems a bit rushed. Or some of the songs are weaker/leftovers from the previous album. But Napalm Death are better than all those bands. This was the first Napalm Death album I ever bought, so it always has a special place in my heart. I can remember when I first popped it in to my CD player and within a minute of Sink Fast, Let Go I was asking myself why I never listened to this band before. Unfortunately, they never play anything off this album live except When All is Said and Done. There are better songs off this album. I'd kill to see them play Sink Fast, Let Go some day.
Best Song: Smear Campaign
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy