View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 AM
N00B

Here is some info on the Orion concert experience coming from a Canadian who had no choice but to order a pass by will-call:

I pretty much missed all of day 1 (I was able to catch all of Red Hot Chili Peppers thankfully) because there weren't enough people working the will-call windows. There were hundreds of people waiting in line at the Cobo Center and only 2 windows working for will-call. To give you an idea, I showed up at around 2PM and finally got my pass and quickly boarded the shuttle around 6PM. So, yeah, 4+ hours of waiting in line.

Yes, yes, maybe I should have showed up at 10am and beat the lines but the ridiculousness of waiting 4 hours would have emerged anyways.

Day 2 was much better. I had my pass already so all I needed to do was go straight to the shuttle (this was around 1:00PM). Thankfully there were no lines for the shuttles. I arrived before any of the bands started (2PM start time for shows) and during the day I was able to visit the Metallica Museum (some cool Metallica memorabilia there) and Kirk's Crypt. I showed up just in time at Kirk's Crypt to catch a horror trivia game with prizes followed by Kirk himself interviewing some horror movie guys.

Metallica at the end of the festival was great and sounded great, but the experience from day 1 kind of set a dark cloud over me for the whole weekend. James Hetfield acknowledged the complaints about the festival and said that they will learn from their mistakes for next year (I think Metallica REALLY wants Detroit to be Orion's home for the next few years).

SOME TIPS IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO GO NEXT YEAR:

1. Do NOT get your ticket by will-call.
2. If you are an international fan and have no choice but to get will-call, show up early. (I am hoping that they add the shipping option for international fans next year)
3. I think the VIP pit is only a VIP pit for the main event. So if you get a VIP pass you might have to wait for them to clear the pit of people who have regular passes in the hour before Metallica hits the stage.

Last edited by Phil709; 06-10-2013 at 02:25 AM.