View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (1997)

My first black metal album almost didn’t happen. I’ll admit that when I first saw the epic video for the Loss and Curse of Reverence I was like “what the fuck is this, all I hear is keyboards, bass drum and something resembling vocals”. I may have even laughed at it because I was young, dumb as fuck and just not ready for music like this. But after it was done it stuck with me for a year. It was in my head and when I ended up at a music store a year or so later I went straight for Emperor. I couldn’t even remember the name of the song so of all their albums I grabbed this one and kept my fingers crossed. I listened to the album wondering if I’d come across “that song” but after the first couple of songs it didn’t matter, this album RULED! By the time I got to the Loss and Curse of Reverence I was already sold on Emperor. We just drank and listened to this album at maximum volume in out college dorm, and everyone loved us for it. Most of Emperors other material is essential too (In the Nightside Eclipse) but this was their peak. And I consider the Loss and Curse of Reverence to be the greatest music video of all-time. Fuck you Tool!
Favorite Song: the Loss and Curse of Reverence
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy