View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Sentinel Beast - Depths of Death - June, 1986

Sentinel Beast are the third female-fronted thrash band we've heard from, and easily the best -- at least in 1986. This is some very good, intense, classic thrash metal, much in the vein of Metallica or a more melodic Slayer from a few years before. There's also a strong NWOBHM influence here, with Iron Maiden being a key influence as well, and not just because of the excellent cover of "Phantom of the Opera", but because it's quite obvious that vocalist Debbie Gunn has tried to emulate Paul Di'anno, and has done a pretty admirable job. She has a nice, husky voice that is more attitude than it is technical ability, and even though she isn't the most inventive vocalist and sings along with the guitar lines often, the overall results are usually more than acceptable because of that aforementioned attitude.

All in all, this is a band that probably should have recorded more albums, but for whatever reason, didn't. From the firey bursts of pentatonic guitar fury to the surprisingly clear production, this album is a relatively early and unexpected winner.

Standouts: The Keeper, Mourir, Dogs of War

Score: 8/10
I feel about that album cover what PowerMaiden and DethMaiden felt about Gamma Ray's Powerplant. As for Obsessed By Cruelty, that is the one album I will actually disagree with Boris on when he says its better than Master of Puppets because of the horrible production and mix.

Folks, you can make your guitars sound as tinny, kvltasfuck or vacuum cleaner as you want but the drums should never, EVER be louder than the guitars in the mix. Its ok when they play slow but when they go to their blastbeat like speed its awful because all you hear is the hi-hat and snare. It sucks. Especially since I really like the title track. I actually wish they'd rerecord it or remix it or something like Sodom did with The Final Sign of Evil because that record is just unlistenable as it is.

Last edited by JRA; 06-03-2013 at 08:17 PM.