View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Razor - Malicious Intent - April, 1986

This is Razor's third full-length, and fourth official release overall, and their sound really hasn't changed much over the course of their short career, except for the fact that they're stuck in full-speed ahead mode full time now. This is a problem. While there are good songs to be found, they all kind of blur into one because the speed and overall feel of each song is nearly identical. Not only that, but the drums are way too high in the mix. Every time M-Bro starts humping that ride cymbal, it drives me a little nuts.

It's not all bad though, in fact this isn't a bad album at all, it's just that Razor's sound is starting to get a little stagnant at this point, even though they've gotten slightly more aggressive here with more tremolo riffs and mainly faster tempos. The star of Malicious Intent (other than Dave Carlo, who is the star of any Razor album) absolutely must be vocalist Sheepdog, who is truly starting to live up to his name, howling and growling like... a... dog.

The problem with what Razor are doing at this point is that they aren't advancing their sound, while their peers are. Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Possessed, Anthrax & Megadeth have all released at least one (arguably) landmark album. Razor has not. They've remained more or less the same since their 1984 EP and at this point seem in danger of being left behind. Of course, with the benefit of this being 2013 and not 1986, we know this isn't the case, but you know, like, humour me.

Standouts: Rebel Onslaught, Stand Before Kings, Grindstone

Score: 6.5/10