View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 PM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

The Dillinger Escape Plan -- Austin, TX -- May 24th, 2013

Two concerts in two days, and my back still hurts. Where do I begin?

A friend and I wound up taking the train down to 4th Street in the pouring rain in an attempt to see The Dillinger Escape Plan, a band I had been hoping to see since I was fourteen or so. Since the doors didn't open until 8:00 or so, we waited out the rain at this Russian restaurant (expensive, but worth it), checked out the shops on 6th, and THEN decided to go to the venue. The first band was already playing, so we hurried inside to go see them, but they finished their set by the time we saw them.

Over the next few hours, we saw a few bands play with little/no real response from the crowd, and she met up with her boyfriend, so I decided to leave them to whatever they wanted to do. Shortly before Royal Thunder, smearCampaign showed up and started chatting with me, and we kept communicating up until The Faceless started, where I told him I was heading into the pit, and I didn't end up seeing him for the rest of the night. The Faceless were great. They wound up pointing me out from onstage (I had bummed a cigarette from them right before the doors opened) and they played flawlessly from what I could tell.

The Faceless

Autotheist Movement I: Create
Autotheist Movement II: Emancipate
Autotheist Movement III: Deconsecrate
Legion of the Serpent
Accelerated Evolution
Ten Billion Years
Xenochrist

The Dillinger Escape Plan were on next, and the audience started to prepare themselves for the near riot that was about to occur. First-time fans were being briefed that they may experience "a guitar to the face" or something to that effect - hell, people were taking bets to see if Greg was going to set something on fire.

About ten minutes after The Faceless left, the intro to DEP's set started. Fans started clapping and cheering as the band hit the stage to an insane hail of fists and fury. If anyone here has seen this band live, they'll know what to expect - Greg climbing on things (and threatening to beat up anyone who knocks him down), everyone except the drummer crowdsurfing, and plenty of trashing the venue; thanks to the latter, I got a cord from a fan above the stage and multiple fans got chunks of a fan after they smashed the shit out of it.

All in all, I had fun, and I can't wait for them to return in July.

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Prancer
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
Sugar Coated Sour
Panasonic Youth
Room Full of Eyes
Gold Teeth on a Bum
When Good Dogs Do Bad Things
The Mullet Burden
Calculating Infinity
Dead as History