View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

A Silver Mt. Zion – He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms... (2000)

Hands down the most depressing album I’ve ever heard. With Godspeed You! Black Emperor on hiatus for most of the 2000’s I was very happy when I discovered Silver Mt. Zion (or whatever variation of that name they’re going by on any given album) in late 2005. They’re pretty much a stripped down version of GY!BE with vocals. This album starts with a four part piece that builds very slowly for the first two parts (Broken Chords Can Sing a Little and Sit in the Middle of Three Galloping Dogs) before hitting its full on in the third part (Stumble Then Rise on Some Awkward Morning). The second part has some wicked samples. Then the fourth part (Movie (Never Made)) comes in with the vocals. And while that may throw some fans of GY!BE they’re pretty much what you’d expect from these guys: the saddest vocals you can imagine. Those first four songs take a little over twenty three minutes but just leave your jaw hanging open. If you're not ready to kill yourself after that the second half of the album will probably do it. 13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round the Side of Your Bed and Long March Rocket or Doomed Airliner (which is just the last seven seconds of the previous song fading out) are two haunting drones and For Wanda is probably the saddest song I’ve ever heard, especially when you read the story of the song and album. This is an album that you just put on, lay down in the middle of the floor and get lost in for an hour. Because even though it’s only forty seven minutes you’re going to lay there for a few minutes after it’s done and just reflect for a bit.
Favorite Song: 13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round the Side of Your Bed
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 05-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.