View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthG View Post
This is probably the wrong thread to say this in and the wrong time to say it, but since i'm a huge fan of Slipknot and Paul Gray wrote the majority of their songs, and I like 4-5 Slayer songs and think the rest of their catalogue is mediocre/boring, I'd like to say i'm comparing a great songwriter in Slipknot to a guy who wrote a few good riffs for 4-5 songs and then repeated those riffs for the other songs they wrote.

The point is you have to take your opinion of a band's music out of it when comparing the two situations and look at them objectively. Both bands had integral members pass away who both appeared to write the majority of the music for those bands. Both bands have decided to continue to play on. And people get up in arms about one and not the other.
Try listening to more Slayer other than what you heard on Guitar Hero... Like i said before, Jeff wrote some of the most memorable, influential songs in all of metal. Paul Gray was a guy that wrote watered down "radio metal" for a gimmick band. So yeah, people are gonna be a little more upset about Jeff passing than some guy in a jumpsuit and a mask...

That's like saying "why is everyone up in arms about Ronnie James Dio dying, and no one seems to care about the guy from Suicide Silence."... Because one is a legend and the other is NOT.

Last edited by Blacktooth85; 05-13-2013 at 08:08 AM.