View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM
N00B

Hollywood Undead -- Madison, WI -- May 9th, 2013

DISCLAIMER: I understand that the majority of the people here despise Hollywood Undead with a vengeance. That's understandable, their music is far from complex and they have that immature teenage party-vibe about them. But, I don't have a blog and out of the online hard rock/metal forums that I've stumbled across, this one seems the most friendly. So if you despise the band and/or don't like reading show reviews from an objective point of view, simply don't waste any more of your time reading this.

This was my first time attending a show at the Orpheum Theatre in Madison. I did want to see Primus there in 2011, but the person who would have went with me had an all day conference for his job, so we never got tickets. Anyhow, the Orpheum looked small from the outside and it was surrounded by a handful of bars and a coffee shop, so my expectations for the venue weren't high. But after waiting in line with my friend for 2 hours, we got a nice spot in the balcony. It was actually a great venue and the sound mix was very good. The show was also sponsored by WJJO and some marines organization. Okay, on to the actual review...

American Fangs (7:28-7:54)-
They are a brand new band with their debut album coming out May 14, so I don't know the setlist except that they played a song called Pomona, two or three songs before the end of their set. I was impressed with their set, along with their high energy on stage. I will probably be ordering their debut album off Amazon in the upcoming weeks.

Falling In Reverse (8:14-8:56)-
I'm Not A Vampire
Sink Or Swim
Good Girls Bad Guys
Rolling Stone (new song off upcoming album)
Raised By Wolves
Born To Lead (new song off upcoming album)
Goodbye Graceful
Alone (new song off upcoming album)
The Drug In Me Is You

^ The friend who drove and accompanied me to the show was really excited about seeing Falling In Reverse. I listened to their debut album The Drug In Me Is You for the first time a few weeks before the show and I was blown away. They played a killer set, although I really wish they had played The Westerner. It was kind of disappointing that most of the crowd weren't into them, but I guess it was more of a rap-rock crowd than a metal crowd. To me the two go hand-in-hand but it must be different for others. One more thing, I listened to their new single Alone, a day before the show and I was not impressed to say the least. But I have to say that it translated a little better live and the two other new songs they played were much stronger than Alone. So there's hope for their new album.

Hollywood Undead (9:34-10:41)-
Undead
Tendencies
Been To Hell
Dead Bite
California
City
Comin' In Hot
My Town
Bullet
Sell Your Soul
Paradise Lost
Another Way Out
Young
Hear Me Now

ENCORE:
Everywhere I Go
We Are

^ The day I saw Avenged Sevenfold in Madison in 2011, was the one show of the Buried Alive tour that Hollywood Undead was not a supporting act for them. They also came to Summerfest the next year, but I decided to see Foo Fighters at the Marcus Amphitheater instead. So when it was announced they were coming to Madison, I bought tickets. It was really good to finally see them live, but I was a little disappointed that they only played for 1 hour, 7 minutes. That is the shortest headlining set I've ever seen. I was also surprised that they only played 3 songs off their new album Notes From The Underground. Especially since they played 7 songs off their first album Swan Songs and 6 songs off their second album American Tragedy, which is very weird. There was a great drum duel solo added to the middle of Paradise Lost which was pretty sweet Still I wish they could have played at least 1 hour, 15 minutes. It would have been awesome to hear songs like No. 5, Bottle And A Gun, and Pigskin (a song song off the new album) live. I still had a fun time though.