View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM
It's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins.

Danzig -- Austin, TX -- April 22nd, 2013

Over the past few years, I had had four opportunities to see Danzig - one time I even had a ticket - and every time, I had been screwed out of that chance. Monday afternoon, however, I managed to snag a ticket the day of the show at the venue and guarantee my spot at a Danzig concert. The fact that Doyle was playing with him on the 25th anniversary (and, you know, him making up for Fun Fun Fun Fest) made my waiting worth it.

I walked inside and met up with a friend of mine that I had met at a Dethklok concert a few months before, and we waited around shooting the shit for a while until The Agonist came on. They put on a good show, but the crowd fucking hated them. Among the twenty or so people that were cheering, there were about 200 more that were staring, drinking, or crossing their arms waiting for Danzig or CoC. The band didn't care, however, and they played their hearts out onstage. My friend and I tried starting a pit, and one guy joined in, but no one else felt like moshing, so in between cheering the band on, we drew a pentagram (complete with goat head) in the area where the pit was and started bowing. At one point, they left the stage and the house music came on, and everyone started leaving, thinking we had just seen the shortest set from an opening act, however they came back out and started performing another song. I'm not sure of the number of songs they played, but the setlist below seems about accurate to me:

The Agonist
?
Business Suits and Combat Boots
?
?
Predator and Prayer
?

My friend and I went back to the inside portion of Stubb's and wound up meeting the members of The Agonist. They told us that they thought the pitting and the pentagram were great and thanked us for that (Alissa actually acknowledged us onstage for our efforts). Shortly after that, we see a group of guys come out of the back and walk towards the Stubb's entrance. We go to greet them, thinking they were CoC - turns out it was Kyng on a day off coming to support CoC. They were extremely cool, talking to us about a potential fall tour and recording an album or something to that effect.

Corrosion of Conformity went on earlier than expected and played a solid 45 minutes or so. Watching them perform their sludgy stuff was just amazing live, and it was so trippy watching the crowd moshing their asses off and then nod their heads grooving on the beat. During the first few minutes of the set, a gigantic cloud of weed smoke rose from the cloud, causing my friend to ask if the bands get a contact high from just being there. Around the end of the set, the band played a bit of "Hand of Doom" before stopping suddenly, causing the crowd to collectively groan, causing Mike to utter an "Oops" before heading into the next song - which I can swear was a Rise Above cover, but I'm very likely wrong. Here's the set from a few days earlier - it looks almost accurate to me, maybe two songs out.

Corrosion of Conformity

Psychic Vampire
Deliverance
The Doom
The Moneychangers
Technocracy
Seņor Limpio
Vote With a Bullet

Without any further delay, Danzig's crew came out to set their stuff up and the security went to go kick out people taking pictures (there was a strict policy in place). In any case, Danzig came out on time and played an amazing set. He made a few comments about Fun Fun Fun Fest, going something along the lines of "I was just playing my set when the power was pulled out, no one would let me play or anything" and talking about how this was his way to finish what he started that November. The crowd sang along with every song, pitted for anything that had a distorted guitar part in it, and generally lost their shit. Just when I thought the crowd couldn't get any crazier, Doyle came out and played a few Misfits songs with Danzig. According to Setlist.FM, "She", "Devil's Whorehouse", and "All Hell Breaks Loose" were played, but I don't remember them.

By the time Doyle had gone, I had gotten Danzig's half-used water and Doyle's sweat (and some of his jewelry) on me - and I had fallen so hard I got a huge cut on my elbow that didn't stop bleeding until the show had ended.

Danzig closed his set with a remark about staying "on curfew" this time around, and the crowd went into a frenzy for the last song of the night. By the time Danzig had left the stage, I had dirt in my mouth, a still bleeding arm, and a huge bruise on my ribs, but I didn't care - it was the closest thing to the Misfits that I'd ever see - plus it was Danzig. I had waited since I was twelve for this moment.

If you get the chance to see Danzig on this tour - go, you won't regret it.

Danzig

SkinCarver
Hammer of the Gods
Twist of Cain
Am I Demon
Her Black Wings
Devil's Plaything
Blood and Tears
Dirty Black Summer
How the Gods Kill
It's Coming Down (written on the setlist, but I don't think it was played)
--------
Death Comes Ripping
Vampira
I Turned Into a Martian
Night of the Living Dead
Astro Zombies
Last Caress
--------
Soul on Fire
Not of This World
Mother
--------
Long Way Back from Hell
Skulls (with Doyle)
London Dungeon
10/28 - Mike Watt
10/29 - Melvins
11/7 - 7 Seconds

Last edited by RampinUp46; 04-23-2013 at 10:32 AM.