View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Metalhead.

This festival was pretty decent for the money - it was originally advertised for somewhere like $330-$180 a ticket, and a week before the show it was down to $130-$70 a ticket.

Venue wasn't anywhere near full capacity, I'd say 1/4 full if that. It was at ANZ stadium (Sydney's biggest live venue), and they'd set up the stage to face one quarter of the seats in there.

Aerosmith's concert which was scheduled for the 28th had equally poor ticket sales, so they cancelled the show next week and added them to last night's bill as a last minute addition.

I got there for the "Kings of Chaos", a supergroup of Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum, Joe Elliot, Sebastian Bach, Gilby Clark, Glenn Hughes and Steve Stevens. The only played for about 45 mins, but did decent versions of Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, Pour Some Sugar On Me, etc.

Next up was Jimmy Barnes, definitely not a huge fan. Don't have the setlist, but he played the obligatory Khe Sanh and Working Class Man, that's about all I knew.

Aerosmith were killer, tore the place up and put on a great show. Great stage setup and awesome sound, good crowd interaction from the band and an incredible energetic set.

On the other hand, Van Halen came out with a pretty terrible audio mix and a pretty sparse stage / light show. David Lee Roth's humour also didn't gel that well with the audience and a lot of his onstage banter just fell on the floor.

I definitely went in a lot more excited for VH than Aerosmith, but have to say I left a lot more impressed by Aerosmith. Van Halen were still good, but were upstaged by Aerosmith, who proved to be a hard act to follow.
12/11 Rolling Stones
15/11 Gorguts / Portal
27/11 Ne Obliviscaris / Beyond Creation