View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Zao
Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest (1998)

Liberate Te Ex Inferis (1999)

(Self-Titled) (2001)

The Fear is What Keeps Us Here (2006)

Zao should be more popular today than they are. They released some wicked fucking albums in the late 1990s. It started with Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest. That album goes right for the jugular from the get go and never really stops. Musically it’s top-notch but what makes it so great is Daniel Weyandt’s vocals. I always compared them to Jeff Walker from Carcass, just in a metalcore band. A lot of bands have tried to emulate him in the years that have passed but in 1998 when I first heard them it was something really different. He’s probably in my top five vocalists of all time and Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest would’ve been in my top thirty. The follow up Liberate Te Ex Inferis was almost as good, it just dragged towards the middle. And it peaked with the best Zao song ever: Savannah. After starting an album with a song like that the only place to go is down unfortunately. (Self-Titled) was frigging awesome too, with a wicked triggered drum sound that probably turns a lot of people off. But I thought it was awesome. It does have probably not just the worst Zao song but one of the worst songs ever in the End of His World. That’s unfortunate. They released a few crappy albums after that but came back in 2006 with the Fear is What Keeps Us Here. Not Zao’s best album song-wise but what I love about that album is that it has one of the most vicious, ferocious production sounds ever. Their vocals were always a high point but on that album they just rip your ears to shreds. It’s unfortunate they’ve suffered from so many line up changes and setbacks because they really deserve to be up there with the As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engages of the world. They should even have those bands opening for them.
Favorite Song (Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest): Lies Of Serpents, A River Of Tears
Favorite Song (Liberate Te Ex Inferis): Intro/Savannah
Favorite Song (Self-Titled): A Tool to Scream
Favorite Song (the Fear is What Keeps Us Here): It's Hard Not To Shake With A Gun In Your Mouth
10/18 - King Diamond
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend