View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Sigur Rós
Ágćtis Byrjun (1999)

() (2002)

Hlemmur (2002)

Valtari (2012)

Sigur Rós are probably one of my favorite bands of all time. It started when I was in the midst of one of the very long droughts of unemployment that I’ve probably mentioned in these posts already. I was watching a late night alternative video show on Muchmusic called the Wedge and they played the video for Svefn-G-Englar. I was in that place between awake and asleep and the video memorized me. The song reminded me of Radiohead, but way better. So the next day I downloaded the entire Ágćtis Byrjun album and instantly fell in love with it. It was around the same time I got Tool’s ‘Lateralus’ and I was in need of some decent to music to help me out, and help me out it did. When they released () a year later I again fell in love. The opening four songs are so incredible, and the closing song…holy shit. Hlemmur is a soundtrack to an Icelandic documentary that I’ll never see. The music is almost entirely instrumental and keyboards but it’s very Sigur Ros. It’s probably some of the most beautiful music ever put to tape. I really encourage you find it (even though it’s almost impossible to find). They fell off the radar for seven years but came back really strong with Valtari. That’s an odd album of almost all ambient music but it’s really well done. At first I was really confused by it but after a couple listens to it I just found myself sitting in my car after it was done playing in silence reflecting on how good it was. The ending isn't as climactic as Untitled 8 from () but it's nevertheless hypnotizing. I really encourage you to check out all the singles and EP’s they’ve released over the years too. Pretty much everything they’ve ever done is really good (the only exception is 2008’s ‘Međ Suđ Í Eyrum Viđ Spilum Endalaust’) so I really think you should stop listening to all the haters and click on the first link to the video for Svefn-G-Englar.
Favorite Song (Ágćtis Byrjun): Svefn-G-Englar
Favorite Song (()): Untitled 8
Favorite Song (Hlemmur): Óskabörn ţjóđarinnar
Favorite Song (Valtari): Valtari
07/04 - Agalloch
08/23 - Alice in Chains
12/06 - the Music of Final Fantasy