View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:22 PM
with his arms outstretched

Ministry

Psalm 69 (1992)

Filth Pig (1996)

Dark Side of the Spoon (1999)

The 1990’s were a dark time for Ministry. And the music makes a perfect backdrop for all the personal strife and controversy. They started the decade off with what was without a doubt the greatest album they’ll ever release. What isn’t perfect about Psalm 69? I don’t want to get into every single song because everyone here has heard the album a million times over. But when an albums outro (Grace) is three minutes of one chord, random cymbals, distortion and screaming and is still so awesome you know they were on to something. Actually, I do have one problem with the album. I loved Al’s vocals in N.W.O. so much and he only sang for a small fraction of the song. But is that really a complaint? That it’s so awesome that I wanted more. Filth Pig wasn’t really as bad an album as people made it out to be. It just had the task of following up such a landmark album. There was no way to follow Psalm 69 really without people being a little disappointed. But calling it a career low (musically) isn’t just. Even when it first came out I really enjoyed five out of the ten songs. From the moment I heard the Fall and the piano during the outro I was reminded of Baywatch. And what sixteen year old boy doesn’t like thinking about Baywatch? Dark Side of the Spoon is another of their albums that gets shat on and I don’t know why. Unlike Filth Pig I loved that album from the second I heard it and I still think today that there are some great songs on it. Sure a couple songs suck (Step, 10/10) but there are still seven songs on here deserve your attention. That three song spread of Nursing Home, Kaif and Vex & Siolence is fucking mint.
Favorite Song (Psalm 69): Grace
Favorite Song (Filth Pig): the Fall
Favorite Song (Dark Side of the Spoon): Vex & Siolence

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.