View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by larvtard View Post
Embers are great! Also, can I ask you how you got that recording gig (internship?) I don't know too much about music theory and shit but production sounds awesome. Either that or I be a merch guy ah lack of ambition...
Well, I've been a nerd about album production for forever and it's something I've wanted to do since I was like, 15. I cold-called Justin Weis, the dude who engineered Slough Feg, Ludicra, Hammers of Misfortune and Cormorant one day, and he actually wasn't too keen on taking on an intern. He was willing to let me sit in on a session though, so I came in and made myself useful. He's let me help out on tracking sessions ever since- the guy is easily one of the coolest dudes I know, and I've learned so much from him just by watching him work. After watching the Amenra mastering session last summer I remember he and I spent a couple hours just talking about how awesome the album Mob Rules by Black Sabbath is haha.

You don't have to be super into music theory or anything to be a good engineer, but it certainly helps. What you do need is a sharp ear and a willingness to never stop learning and adapting. You also just gotta put yourself out there and send a few emails and make a few calls. Working with these smaller metal artists is much easier than you'd think, sometimes it's easy to forget that in the grand scheme of things, metal is just a microscopic part of popular music and culture today.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16