View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Opeth
Morningrise (1996)

My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)

You know what, I bite my tongue a lot when people are discussing Opeth. But I’m just going to say it; new Opeth is gay. I can’t believe that the same band that released these two wicked albums turned into that lame-ass coffee shop band. My Arms, Your Hearse is pretty important to me since it was one of the first underground albums I ever got. I was still listening to a lot of Roadrunner bands in 1998 (Machine Head, Fear Factory) so they were totally different for me. Odd that they would sign to Roadrunner some years later. I'll never forget when my friend Evan came to my house with this import CD by some band that I had no idea how he'd discovered. The vocal fade-in for April Ethereal sent a shiver down my spine then blasted into one of the heaviest songs I'd heard in my life. They were pretty much the heaviest band I'd heard up until that point. Now I even hear they're doing an acoustic version of Demon of the Fall. Sigh. Morningrise is just a better album I think; just the songs are a little too long (I’m looking at you Black Rose Immortal). There are some boring parts but then are those incredible parts that grab you. Like that little bass break at 3:13 of Nectar . I love the covers for both albums too.
Favorite Song (Morningrise): the Night and the Silent Water
Favorite Song (My Arms, Your Hearse): April Ethereal
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.