Thread: Star Wars
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I forgot to post how I got into Star Wars. My mom tells me the story of how when my dad bought his first VCR they rented Return of the Jedi from the local video store and they copied it onto a VHS (yes, piracy existed thirty years ago). I was three. My mom still tells me the story that if she ever needed a break she could put that VHS on, leave, attend to my younger sister and come back two hours later and I'd still be sitting in the exact same place with my mouth hanging open. I can still remember hiding under the pillows of the couch when the rancor was on.

I remember we taped Empire Strikes Back off a free preview of a movie channel, and it had the text "you are watching a free preview of (whatever the channel was), please call 1-905-whatever to subscribe" scrolling across the bottom of the screen during half the movie. And during the climax of the Battle of Hoth my younger brother hit the VCR and changed it to another channel. So halfway through the battle some Hindi political show started playing. That was fine because a few years later my mom taped the music video for Cory Harts Sunglasses at Night over the political show, and the first half of the battle. We watched that thing for like ten years before we actually bought legit copies in 1997.

The prequel trilogy. I hated and still don't like Phantom Menace but I saw it in theaters six times that summer because it was Star Wars. The first twenty minutes started out so promising, then they landed on Naboo and boom; there he is (you all know who I'm talking about). Even beyond that, I find the whole part on Tatooine boring as hell. Only the ending really brings it back. Attack of the Clones is boring as hell until the Battle of Geonosis, then I got to see what I'd wanted to see for almost twenty years. But Revenge of the Sith I thought was fantastic. I'd go as far to say it's my second favorite of the entire series (after Empire Strikes Back). I don't think I took a breath for the entire Order 66 scene. And Ewan MacGregor was fantastic as Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you want to get a real appreciation for that movie (or any of the movies for that matter) real the novel. It's actually one of the best of all the Star Wars books I've read. I felt really bad for Anakin after reading it.

I am not at all embarrassed to admit that I well up at the end of Revenge of the Sith when Owan and Beru Lars are holding baby Luke and look up at the two moons of Tatooine. And I well up again when Darth Vader saves Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi.

So for me I'd rank the movies:
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the Jedi
4. A New Hope
5. the Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-17-2013 at 05:49 PM.