View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Cowboy From Hell

While these bands were important in the scheme of what I have listened to in metal through out the years they are not necessarily my favorite metal bands especially at this time.

Pantera – My all -time favorite band. I ended up being a mod on their official website and running the now defunct VinnieAndDime.com. I actually hung out with the boys on several occasions. Nice guys with lots of fond memories.

Guns N’ Roses – Back in my teen years when GNR burst onto the scene it seemed like very few other bands existed. I loved Appetite for Destruction and it helped turn me on to other bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. Once Use Your Illusions came out my interested started to sour but those albums are very good too in their own right.

Metallica – Similar to Guns N’ Roses, I was in to Metallica. They were my favorite metal band until the black album dropped. The lack of thrash made me lose some interest although I still enjoyed their music.

Danzig – I was a huge Misfits/Danzig fan. Those first 4 albums were full of great riffs inspired by AC/DC and Black Sabbath. Back in the 90’s I loved that band with all of their cheesy satanic imagery. John Christ was a very underrated guitarist in my opinion.

Black Sabbath – Quiet possibly my favorite band today. I shouldn’t have to explain why. Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master Of Reality, Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules are all awesome albums. Ozzy, Dio, Iommi, Geezer, Ward, Appice - you can't go wrong with those guys imo.

Alice In Chains – Like Danzig, AiC was inspired by Sabbath among other bands. Layne’s lyrics hit home and I could feel the emotion in the music. The acoustic pieces were fantastic then and their music holds up well today.

Ozzy Osbourne – As a guitar player it was hard not to like Ozzy’s music back in the day. Everything from Randy thru Jake E. Lee until after No More Tears was solid, except for maybe the Bark at the Moon album.

Judas Priest – Painkiller turned me on to the older Priest albums when I bought it back in the early 90’s. This also helped me forge a love of classic metal ranging from Dio to Sabbath to Maiden. Priest was the gateway band that made get into the classic metal.

Down – Another Sabbath inspired and similar sounding (in some ways) band. I love the first two albums. The 3rd album is great and the IV: Part 1 ep is solid as hell too in my opinion. I have seen Down live more than any other band on my list. Windstein and Keenan can create some of best southern sludge riffs.

Mastodon – All of their albums are excellent from start to finish. Some are a bit better than others in my opinion. They create quality music which I believe will be remembered years from now along the lines of early Metallica (KEA thru AJFA), Ozzy era Sabbath (first 6 albums) and those Anselmo era Pantera albums as some of the best albums ever released in their era.

Honorable Mention:
Slayer
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Van Halen
Motley Crue
Hank 3
Johnny Cash
Anthrax

I could swap out half of the honorable mentions with other bands on my list depending on my mood or listening preferrences at the moment.

Last edited by WOLVERINEKILLS; 03-13-2013 at 11:04 PM.