View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM
with his arms outstretched

Entombed
Clandestine (1991)

Wolverine Blues (1993)

DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth (1997)

Sepultura was the first really heavy band I got into but Entombed was the first one hundred percent legit death metal band I was into. It started with my friend Eric buying Wolverine Blues (for reasons unknown, he hated death metal) then giving it to me. I loved the hell out of it. I don't know why but I guess we always thought albums had to be an hour long because we found it so funny that a band would put out an album that was only a half hour (my version is the one that cuts Out Of Hand). Then I got DCLXVI and loved it even more. At that tender age I had never heard a piano solo in the middle of an extreme metal album (the title track) so I thought it was some of the coolest stuff I’d ever heard in my life. But things hit full tilt ten years later (don’t ask why it took me ten years) when I got Clandestine. That album just floored me, thanks in large part to the insane first two tracks Living Dead and Sinners Bleed. That little whistling feedback between the two songs into the chugging riff of Sinners Bleed is one of the best segues I’ve heard in my life. I personally love the odd chugga-riff and the one in Sinners Bleed is right up there with the Art of Dying by Gojira. One thing I’ve always loved about Entombed is their use of feedback. I don’t know if it’s done on purpose but all three songs I selected as my favorites have very prominent feedback. What kept the first two albums out of the top twenty is that there are just albums I like better, and what kept Clandestine out is I just don’t like the mastering. The volume’s too low. People may have a problem with Left Hand Path not being here but while that album has its moments, aside from the title track I’ve never really liked it that much.
Favorite Song (Clandestine): Sinners Bleed
Favorite Song (Wolverine Blues): Eyemaster
Favorite Song (DCLXVI: To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth): Wreckage (I never even knew there was a video for this song until I went to post this!)

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.