View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Voivod - War and Pain - August 10, 1984

This just isn't very good. I've never been a big fan of Voivod, but truth be told I've only ever listened to their first three albums, which is probably the reason I just can't bring myself to listen to their later material. At any rate, we're talking about War and Pain right now, and to me, they should have just called it Pain. It's not a complete train wreck, but this is some pretty sloppy, messy, Motorhead-tinged speed/thrash. The vocals are OK, the lyrics are ridiculous, some nice riffs and leads show up every now and then, and the whole thing just kind of runs into one long cacophony that doesn't hold my attention one bit.

Standouts: Voivod, Blower

Score: 3/10
I'm glad I'm not the only person who just does not like Voivod. I'll go one further and say that I think they're probably one of my least favorite bands out there. When I saw them open for Down in 2009 it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. Then when I saw they were second billed on the Shockwave Festival last year I died a little inside knowing that I'd have to watch them again. But we all know how that turned out.

The only Voivod I've ever liked is that song Insects (which doesn't sound like most other Voivod) and that Pink Floyd cover (which again doesn't sound like them).

I don't even understand their importance. There are so many other bands that were way better around their time, as seen in this thread. Maybe I had to be there in the early 1980's to get it, but in 1992 I thought they sucked, then again in 2003 I thought they sucked and here we are in 2013 and I still think they suck.

Okay, I will say one nice thing about Voivod and that is that I like Blackie's bass sound. But it can't help the broken-robot guitar riffs and the godawful vocals. Godawful vocals.

Everything else on this thread has been top notch though.
10/18 -- King Diamond
11/01 -- Suffocation

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.