View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Good thread. I'm not going to post in order of importance but in order of when they affected me.

Van Halen (1984?)
I’m not a big fan but my dad always tells me a story about when I was four years old and we were driving to my grandparent’s cottage. It was an hour and a half drive. He tells me that he had an audiocassette mix tape of stuff he’d recorded off the radio and that Jump was on it. And apparently I made him rewind and listen to Jump the whole drive there. So I guess it’s the first song I ever loved.

The Beatles (1987 or 1988)
The first band I ever listened to. At the age of seven my aunt bought me a compilation cassette by them called Rock & Roll Vol. 2, that was the first piece of recorded music I ever owned.

Nirvana (1991)
I liked the Beatles as a very young kid but that was pretty much it. Nirvana was the first band that made me start to really love music, made me start watching Muchmusic (Canada’s MTV) and start buying music.

Final Fantasy games (1991)
Not a band but maybe you could say Nobuo Uematsu, the composer? Favorite bands have come and gone but this is some of my favorite music ever spanning over twenty years.

Beck (1994)
Not a band, but an artist. He taught me that you didn’t have to just stick to one style. You could do everything on one album or sometimes in one song.

Nine Inch Nails (1994)
The first band that got me into music that wasn't just guitar, bass, drums and vocals. And the first band I listened to that was really experimental and more extreme, twisted and against the "norm".

Sepultura (1996)
The band that got me into really heavy music. A gateway band to the stuff I listen to today.

Faith No More (1997)
Same as Beck, but better.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (2000)
They’re just my favorite band. I love everything they do. From their samples, to their artwork, to their image and to their music they can do no wrong. This may sound fucked up but when I first started listening to them I was very unemployed and very depressed. And they made me feel even sadder but took my mind off it as well.

Enslaved (2006)
I never went to many concerts between 2000-2006. But for whatever reason I went and saw Enslaved in early 2007. And when I watched them play I was like, “why the hell don’t I go to more concerts?” So I started going to more and was glad I did.

On a side note, a lot of people have a problem with lists and polls taking over this board (I remember one person in particular). But I really have no problem with it at all. In fact, I've found Wild and Young's, Mankville's and the other lists that have been popping up here lately to be really entertaining. This board has turned into a ghost town since the end of 2012 so keep it up.
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-10-2013 at 08:26 PM.