View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Deftones -- Boston, MA -- March 5th, 2013

I have been a huge Deftones fan for years, and I would consider them one of my favorite bands. I have wanted to see them for a long time, but things always seemed to come up when they came around. This time, I bought tickets before they sold out, and made sure NOTHING got in my way, even the major assignment I had due the next day (which I did finish, by the way .

I got to the venue, the House of Blues in Boston, at around 7:20, a little after the doors opened. I'm sure I have complained about it here before, so I will be brief, but I can't stand this venue. It is just very commercial/corporate, and just does not have the kind of vibe I look for in a venue. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it is just almost TOO nice, everything just seems designed too perfectly. I like a little grit and grime in my venues, it adds character and a metal vibe. ANYWAY, The Contortionist came on at 8, and I just thought they were terrible. I'm sure musically they are talented, but they are not my thing at all. Prog/atmospheric/breakdowns/core. I don't know, just was not a fan. They played for about 40-45 minutes, which I spent most of in the lobby trying to find a working ATM ( it turned out all the ATMs in the venue were down, but I was able to buy a Red Bull with my card ). Also picked up a free copy of the Revocation - Teratogenesis EP from the Scion table they had there, which was pretty sweet!

Deftones came on around 9:15, and proceeded to blow me away for an hour and a half. Their music just has a vibe that cannot be matched or even described, but it is just very comforting to me. They played a good mix of material from their albums, surprisingly playing as many songs of White Pony and Adrenaline as they did off Koi No Yokan. I guess they just have some staples that will always be there, but I'm not complaining since I love all their stuff! Plus I hadn't seen them so it was my first time hearing all of those songs live. Some highlights for me were kicking things of with "Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)", "Digital Bath", "Minerva", and all the new songs. As you can tell, something about the softer Deftones songs just hit me in a special way, which is surprising for an extreme metal fan! But seriously, the entire set was awesome. The whole band sounded great, Chino sounded amazing and put on an excellent performance, the lighting fit the music perfectly. seriously, I'm sure most have you have seen Deftones, but they are everything you could imagine live! I am also so glad I saw them in a club as opposed to opening for someone at an amphitheater. The crowd was big, but there was still a slight feeling of intimacy throughout the set that cannot be felt on a major stage. I was slightly off to the right of the stage, about halfway back. Usually I like to get closer, but I didn't feel like forcing my way through the crowd and neither me or my brother were in much of a moshing/shoving mood. It sdidn;t matter though, the show was perfect from my point of view!

Setlist is slightly different than the one in Montreal that was posted here, but seems to be about the same as the other sets from this tour.

Deftones setlist:
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
Lotion
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Lhabia
Minerva
Diamond Eyes
Rocket Skates
You've Seen the Butcher
Feiticeira
Digital Bath
Rosemary
Swerve City
Tempest
Poltergeist
Rivière
Change (In the House of Flies)
Engine No. 9
Nosebleed

Encore:
Root
7 Words
8/17 Jungbluth
8/23 Tercer Mundo/Muerte
9/27 GBH

Last edited by energymetal14; 03-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.