View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 07:34 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Thrash Through the Ages

Well, I know how much this community loves lists, but rather than do "My Top x number Albums of All-Time" or whatever, I'm going to do something I started on a different forum a little while ago. I'll be posting the same reviews that I wrote for that forum, so if you ARE a member of that one as well (I don't think there are any members of both), I apologize for the repetition.

Basically, what I'm doing is listening to and reviewing every thrash album (full-lengths and worthwhile EPs only) in order since the genre's birth in 1983. If i don't have an exact date for a release it gets reviewed at the beginning of the month, or at the end of the year if I don't even have a month. Keep in mind I'm no great writer. Some of the reviews will be a few sentences, others could be a few paragraphs. Also keep in mind that I'm doing this for fun and to satisfy my OCD. While the first few years are already written and should be posted pretty regularly, newer reviews may be weeks away from each other. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this trip down thrash metal memory lane... Oh, and I'm not posting Youtube links in my reviews. If you're interested, open a new tab and search for the song yourself! If you're having trouble finding something, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

Metallica - Kill 'Em All - July 13, 1983
What can you say about an album like Kill 'Em All that hasn't already been said? It's really a groundbreaking piece of music, obviously influenced by the NWOBHM with most of the music being pretty heavily rooted in that style. One great thing about this album is that most of the songs fall into the 4 to 5 minute range, keeping things fresh and interesting, which is something Metallica would start to have trouble with as soon as 3 years later. Unfortunately, the writing is already on the wall for Metallica as the best tunes are the ones that Dave Mustaine helped write.

Standouts: The Four Horsemen, Metal Militia, Phantom Lord

Score: 8/10