View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Honorable Mention #8

KoRn (1994)

KoRn - Life Is Peachy (1996)

It’s easy to hate KoRn. A lot of people blame them for bringing Limp Bizkit and the whole nu-metal thing into prominence in the late 1990’s. And a lot of their later music has been, to put it nicely, fucking terrible. But you have to take yourself back to 1995 when I got into them. Back then they were still an upper-tier underground band. There were still purists who hated them (only because of the rap influences) but there was a lot of excitement too for this band that was doing something that was really different. I’ve stated in a couple other posts here that while I love brutal, technical, mind-blowing music I also really like something catchy. KoRn’s first album wasn’t brutally heavy but it was still really heavy and more importantly each song stood out on its own. I personally loved the guitar work. The second album surpassed the debut by having that same style but sounded a little rawer to me. I’ll never forget when me and my friend Eric first bought that album and hit play. When the album started with Twist we looked at each other with our eyes bugging out. At the time it was the most insane music I’d ever heard in my life. In hindsight, a lot of KoRns music is something that I loved when I was younger but grew out of. I listen to some of it now and wonder what the hell I saw in it. But there’s still a lot of music from these first two albums that I love. My dad fucking hated KoRn too, so as a teenager that made me like them even more.
Favorite Song (KoRn): Clown
Favorite Song (Life is Peachy): Chi
11/01 - Suffocation
12/06 - Distant Worlds: the Music of Final Fantasy

Last edited by adamclark52; 03-01-2013 at 12:13 PM.