View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Remember - today is the first day of the end of your life

Marduk -- Montreal, Quebec -- February 24th, 2013

Venue: Club Soda
Opening band: Death Wolf
Tour: Voices from the Dark

I have a lot of studying to do, so I'm going to make this very short. I got to the venue in the middle of Death Wolf's set. For those unaware of it, they're a side project of Morgan from Marduk. They play a some kind of Danzig/Misfits influenced punk/hard rock with some doom and black metal influences in some particular songs. The place was pretty empty for them, but they gave a good, energetic set and recieved a mild reaction. Sadly, the sound mix didn't help them at all; the drum pedals were burying everything. Also, I found most of their songs to lack anything special: they were pretty bland, except for the 3 last ones they played.

Next was The Foreshadowing; a gothic/doom metal band from Italy. The owner of a record store here in Montreal had shown them to me about 2 years ago and I would have never expected them to tour here, so I was really happy to get the chance of seeing them. Like Death Wolf, they gave an excellent performance, but the mix was extremely muddy. One of the guitars was way too loud and we couldn't hear the other one neither the keyboards. Also, the band seemed to be desperate for "professional showmanship": they were all wearing their own merch, making ridiculous rockstar moves and incessantly harassing the crowd to make them clap hands or chant. It got annoying quickly. However, Marco's voice was so good live that I almost forgot about the horrible sound and other bad aspects of the show. Let's say it was a semi-disappointment.

Then came the best band of the night. The black metal due Inquisition played one of the most massive and powerful sets I've ever seen. They were much better than when I saw them on the Septic Flesh tour. They're starting to get used to touring and it shows. The chemistry between the two musicians was astonishing, and so was the enormous presence of Dagon's guitar and voice tones. Incubus' drumming was spot on, violent and creative as always. The light effects combined with Dagon's theatrical moves gave their set a mystic, ritualistic atmosphere. I believe that the touring also gave them some kind of renown, because the venue was packed for them and the crowd was extremely enthusiastic. If you have the chance to witness this band some day, don't waste your chance - they're one of the best live black metal acts out there. By the way, they played for about 40 minutes. The set is missing a few songs, including one with clean vocals. If anyone knows which one I'm talking about, please tell me.

Then was the time for the co-headlining bands, the first of them being the portugese gothinc metal superstars Moonspell. It had been about three years and a half since they had not played North America, and there were tons of fans waiting for them. It was some kind of teenage dream coming true for me to finally see them. I used to listen to their music heavily when a was in high school. They hit the stage with the opener from their latest album Alpha Noir, with Fernando wearing a metal helm, which was pretty funny, and people went completely crazy. At first, the guitar tone was very thin, but it got fixed by the second song, the title track to the same album, which sounded much better than "Axis Mundi". It shocked me how much happy the band seemed to be to play on stage for us. They all had huge smiles on their faces and moved a lot, transmitting their energy to the crowd and creating a very friendly, intimate ambience. Yet, since I'm not a huge fan of "Alpha Noir", I only really started to enjoy their performance fully when they started to pull out old stuff, starting by their biggest hit, "Opium". Needless to say the crowd went nuts for this one. My highlights were probably the three songs they played from their debut album, Wolfheart. "Vampiria" was beautiful, with Fernando's vocals being at the peak of their soulfulness. They're just leaving me with one question. Alpha Noir was released as a double album with its counterpart Omega White. Why are they completely ignoring the second one?

Like if we didn't have had enough fun yet, we still had more than an hour of pure apocalyptic black metal devastation by the Swedes in Marduk. After a long change-up and an also long, dark intro, they turned the Clud Soda into a hellish war zone with the title track from their latest record, Serpent Sermon. As always, Mortuus was fucking pissed off and the extension of his rage, his screams and growls, was pretty destructive. Lars' drumming also never ceases to impress me: I can't understsand how he manages to keep such intensity and speed thoughout the whole sets. I mean, having stamina is one thing, but he hits the snare like he would bludgeon the pope's head. He never compromises his impact in order to last longer, and it seems to work. Let's just say that Marduk were fucking brutal. Some of my highlights were "Baptism by Fire" (those pits were violent!) and "Deme Quaden Thyrane". "Temple of Decay" was also fun, giving us a break from the constant blasting, while still crushing some skulls. By the first third of their set, people started leaving, since it was a sunday night and most of them had to work the day after and the venue soon became a lot less full than for the two previous bands, but this didn't keep Marduk from giving everything they had. Overall, this was one of the most fun shows I've ever went to. Definitely the best of the year so far. The only one complaining is actually my neck.

The Foreshadowing

Havoc
The Forsaken Son
Departure
Ground Zero
Chant of Widows

Inquisition (missing 1 or 2 songs)

Embraced By The Unholy Powers Of Death And Destruction
Ancient Monumental War Hymn
Crush The Jewish Prophet
Desolate Funeral Chant
Empire Of Luciferian Race
Command of the Dark Crown
Cosmic Invocation Rites
Nefarious Dismal Orations

Moonspell

Axis Mundi
Alpha Noir
Finisterra
Night Eternal
Opium
Wolfshade (A Werewolf Masquerade)
Lickanthrope
Love Is Blasphemy
Vampiria
Alma Mater
Full Moon Madness

Marduk

Serpent Sermon
Nowhere, No-One, Nothing
On Darkened Wings
Throne Of Rats
Deme Quaden Thyrane
Azrael
Temple Of Decay
Baptism By Fire
Panzer Division Marduk
Still Fucking Dead (Here's No Peace)
With Satan And Victorious Weapons
Souls For Belial

-----------------------------------

Wolves

http://www.last.fm/user/voidflame

Last edited by VoidFlame; 02-25-2013 at 08:26 AM.