View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:07 PM
with his arms outstretched

Honorable Mention #3
Suffocation – The Close of a Chapter: Live in Quebec City (2005)

I normally hate live albums. I find listening to the audio of a concert just doesn’t stack up to being there yourself. And live albums are usually just “greatest hits” or “best of” albums anyway and offer nothing I haven't heard before. So I almost never buy them and when I do I usually ask myself why I wasted my money. But this one stands out. Suffocation are a beast live, most people will agree that they’re one of the best live bands they’ve ever seen. But what draws me to this album is the vocals. I won’t lie that everything after Effigy of the Forgotten had a different vocal style and I didn’t like it as much. Even now on the eve of a new Suffocation album I’m expecting to be a little disappointed that Frank probably won’t go back to the gruff, caveman vocal style. But live their songs take on a whole other meaning for me because he tends to go back to that older gruff style. So songs like Thones of Blood, Pierced from Within and Funeral Inception are even better than they were on album. And lesser songs (pretty much anything from Souls to Deny) are transformed into classics that are awesome standing next to the older stuff. And anything off Effigy of the Forgotten is even better since they’re sped up a bit. The tracklist is a greatest hits of Suffocation (up to that point), but I’d say if you’ve never head Suffocation than this is actually a really good place to start.
Best song: what else; Liege Of Inveracity (here's a nice live version from 1991)

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Last edited by adamclark52; 02-16-2013 at 09:12 PM.