View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
N00B

Enslaved -- Baltimore, MD -- January 31st, 2013

Full review (pix coming this evening of merch and bands)

summary: eventually got pretty packed (about 350 ppl, including bands and staff)
Ancient VVisdom- sounded great, not metal, def different from my usual likes. I enjoyed their new album (streamed previously), so I thought those in particular sounded very powerful

Royal Thunder- looked like hipsters. Halestorm meets Heart vocals meets bad songs. I was kinda liking the first two songs, but overall their songs were lacking, IMO. The vocals sounded GREAT, but lyrics were...well they had a lot of whoa oh ohs (I'm not going to comment about Halestorm lyrics at this point!). I was kinda disappointed considering the hype I have heard about these guys.

Pallbearer- Droney, heaviest band of the night. Unremarkable, boring songs IMO. I think it woulda been ok if I was high, but it really was not really my kinda sound. Crowd seemed into it, overall.

Enslaved- sounded very good. I was unfamiliar with them overall, but the ones I did know (um ,...new ones) sounded pretty good. Amp problem at some point yielded horrible joke telling to appease the crowds, but thankfully they got another to use. Big pit on Immigrant Song, and pits on other songs that had kinda fast parts, but seemed more headbanging songs and def not moshing songs. /rant
Overall they easily sounded the most professional.

Not a bad way to start 2013 concerts!

Setlists

Nightfire
? I dunno we were walking in and merch boothing at this point

Ancient VVisdom (7:47- 8:15)
  • By Fire Light
  • the Grave
  • Deathlike
  • World of Flesh
  • Death or Victory
  • The Opposition

Royal Thunder (8:34 -9sih?)
?

Pallbearer (9:26- 10:07)
?
(new song at the end)

Enslaved (10:42 -12:21)
  • Riitiir
  • Ruun
  • The Watcher
  • Thoughts Like Hammers
  • Ethica Odini
  • Roots of the Mountain
  • Materal
  • Convoys to Nothingness
  • As Fire Swept Clean the Earth
  • Allfağr Oğinn
  • Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin cover)
  • (Unknown)
  • Drum Solo
  • Isa

next concerts: Doro/Sister Sin, Coheed & Cambria, Turisas/Firewind, Uli Jon Roth, Suffocation !