View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Biggest Disappointments of 2012

These are nowhere near the worst albums, just one's that I was expecting to be better.

5. Terrorizer - Horde of Zombies

Just like everybody else, I love World Downfall and consider it a grindcore classic, but unlike everyone else, I also really liked their second album, Darker Days Ahead. I just couldn't get into this one though. This whole album is just really bland death metal that isn't necessarily bad, but there's just nothing memorable here for me.

4. Nile - At the Gates of Sethu

This album suffers from the fact that the previous album, Those Whom the Gods Detest, was just too good that there was almost no way for this album to live up to it. Hopefully, this will just be a transition album between Nile masterpieces.

3. Stick to Your Guns - Diamond

Half of this album is really kick ass hardcore (even a little kick ass melodic hardcore) and the other half is really bland and boring melodic metalcore/scenecore bullshit. Against Them All might be one of my favorite songs of the year still though.

Highlight: Against Them All

Lowlight: Beyond the Sun (Has potential to be a great track, but the chorus is absolutely horrible and ruins it.)

2. The Faceless - Autotheism

If I wanted to listen to the new Between the Buried and Me album, I would have just done that. To me, this album was just The Faceless playing BTBAM. I miss the spacey tech-death of Planetary Duality. I thought that The Faceless were one of a kind and didn't need to make an excessive change like this. I dunno, as long as they're writing what they want, I guess. I liked the album a little bit more after I listened to it 3 or 4 times, but I still find it disappointing.

Highlight: Hymn of Sanity

Lowlight: The Eidolon Reality

1. Napalm Death - Utilitarian

I went in expecting another blistering album by Napalm Death, but instead got what I thought was a too experimental and avant-garde approach to grindcore. It's just not what I'm looking for with a Napalm Death album. There was way too much melodic singing for my taste as well.

Highlight: Epidemic Pox (I fucking love John Zorn)

Lowlight: Wolf I Feed (Would be a cool song, but the clean vocals kill it for me)
1/9 Skull Fist
1/10 Cruel Hand
1/16 Mayhem
1/23 Sea of Shit