View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Anaal Nathrakh - Vanitas

I was floored the first time I heard this. I feel that Vanitas is a step in the correct direction for Anaal Nathrakh. The gabber-esque drums, the concise songwriting, the certain "spark" that I think has been missing for a few albums. I don't think there's as much filler on Vanitas as on their last two releases, and the stuff that's real good is REAL good. The one-two punch of "The Blood-Dimmed Tide" and "Forging Towards The Sunset" might be their best opening duo of tracks since the Codex Necro. "Todos Somos Humanos" has some of Anaal Nathrakh's most melodic sounds on it, but the entire album is through and through their most brutal in a long time. And kind of randomly, I think their final song "A Metaphor For The Dead" is their best non-"explosive" album ending track. If that makes sense. Another hit out of the park for the Birmingham band that is on par with Sabbath, Priest, Napalm and Godflesh.

Top tracks: Forging Towards The Sunset, Of Fire, and Fucking Pigs, A Metaphor For The Dead

09/14 - Citizen
09/17 - Mineral
09/18 - Clutch