View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

5.Sylosis-Monolith
Easily the most underrated record of 2012 by far in my book. Sylosis came out of nowhere to release a melodic death/thrash/progressive metal masterpiece. This has been a band I had heard about a couple of years ago, but slept on until they were announced to be opening for Lamb of God on their fall tour. Since I was going to the see them live, I figured I'd check them out and I'm so glad I did (Although I kind of hated myself for waiting so long to do so.) Their unique combination of styles make for some interesting tracks. You have everything here from vintage thrash riffs and fret-melting solos, melodic guitar work, and even the occasional, well-used clean vocal line and breakdown. Vocalist/lead guitarist Josh Middleton is one talented bastard who can shred as well as deliver incredible vocals that are very much rooted in old-school Gothenburg melodic death metal. This album is masterfully crafted all-around and if your looking for some good thrash/melodic death/progressive/(somewhat) metalcore than look no further than Sylosis.

Side Note: The cover art is without a doubt my favorite of 2012. It reminded me a lot of John Baizley's work and I was actually surprised that he didn't do it. Kudos to Dan Goldsworthy for creating a badass and beautiful album cover.

Standout Tracks
1.Out from Below
2.What Dwells Within
3.Fear the World

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mastodon421; 01-12-2013 at 06:01 AM.