View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Concert Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildAndTheYoung View Post
Telsa must have been good,I can't believe Def Leppard would have that few of people at that time,I mean Pyromania alone should have been enough to keep people coming.I would love to see a band in the round,it's a great setup to me
Don't forget there was that four year gap between Pyro and Hysteria because Rick lost his arm in that car accident. Yes, Pyromania was huge for them but after taking so long between albums their audience had moved on. Four years is a long time between albums and a lot changes in that short period of time, especially in the music world.

With Hysteria they needed to find a new audience and gain back the old one. Women was released as the first single and while it's a great tune and has become a big fan favorite over time, the song didn't do anything when first released. Animal was released next and the album did start to pick up some steam but still Animal was not as popular upon it's release as it would become over time.

When Sugar was made a single is when the whole thing went nuclear for them. MTV and radio had the song on constant rotation. It's hard to explain today just how huge that song became because there's really no equivalent to compare it to now. Love Bites, Armageddon It and Hysteria were all became huge hits as well. Women and Animal started to get more airplay after the album got huge. So it took those two songs a couple years to become hits but it eventually happened.

I saw Def Leppard on the Adrenalize tour and that show was in the round and I had 5th row on the floor. I thought it was a pretty damn cool setup but I was 14 at the time and was just happy to see my favorite band from my childhood live for the first time. So, maybe the stage setup wasn't as cool as I thought it was.

Here's the set from that show:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/def-le...-7bddd6e4.html