View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Not popular in Buffalo

19.Deftones-Koi No Yokan
After making a triumphant comeback with their crushing 2010 effort Diamond Eyes, Deftones come back with a more mellow effort. This record to me at least is what Saturday Night Wrist was supposed to be: A calm, but still crushing record. Chino lets his indie/dream pop influences run wild on this record and it's really cool. Chino's vocals are amazing as always and make a lot of these songs really beautiful and powerful (especially "Tempest" and "Rosemary".) Of course this being the Deftones, there are still some heavy tracks. Being the metalhead whore that I am, these were my favorite tracks on the album for the most part. Tracks like "Poltergeist", "Leathers", and "Goon Squad" are just straight chaos with Stephen Carpenter banging out his distinctive riffs and Chino screaming his lungs out with his trademark shriek. Don't get me wrong the slow parts are great, but the heavy stuff just grabbed me and left more of a lasting impression on me. It took a little bit to grow on me, but Koi No Yokan is another excellent release from Deftones that effortlessly combines beauty and intensity.

Standout Tracks
1.Poltergeist
2.Leathers
3.Goon Squad

http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/