View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellawaits77ny View Post
#1 most disappointing album of 2012...............

Whitechapel
Whitechapel

Ok idiots, start to defend them. Sure, they've "matured". Sure, they're "not deathcore anymore". I don't give a shit, I found no redeeming qualities about this album. I was not suprised that the band took their direction even further away from the brutal deathcore that put them on the map, based on their last record. I can't stand most deathcore, but I did really like their first 2 albums, expecially The Somatic Defilement. The biggest problem with this album IMO is the lack of brutality. As I said earlier, it's a more technical, "mature" album, but it's just blah. I don't give a shit that they're no longer deathcore. This is straight up run-of-the-mill bland ass generic death metal, with some nu-metal 2.0 thrown in. What's with the Faggy Palmeri-esque spoken vocals? Gimme a break........
I think you are spot on here, I thought the album was pretty good on first listen but it falters on repeat listens. The only tracks I don't skip these days are "I, Dementia" and "Section 8".

Experimentation can be a dangerous thing if you stray too far from your original sound. Their attempts to release a more mature and technical album may have succeeded in bringing in some new fans but probably alienated a lot of existing fans due to the changes in sound. It will be interesting to see if they continue on the evolution of their sound for a future release or attempt to return to a rawer sound.
04/24 - Nile