View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM
THIS IS LHHC!

Getting a new roommate has really set me behind on this..

30. NOFX - Self-Entitled

Punk veterans NOFX are back with their twelfth album and it's basically more of the same quality punk rock. The album stays true to their tongue-in-cheek approach to their sociopolitical lyrics, but is flavored with some pessimism. "She Didn't Lose Your Baby" is actually pretty depressing lyrically as is "I've Got One Jealous Again, Again" which is about Fat Mike and his ex-wife dividing up their record collection after their divorce. Musically, the album stays true to NOFX's catchy songwriting and remains interesting throughout its half hour running time.

NOFX - I Believe in Goddess
NOFX - She Didn't Lose Her Baby

29. Tankard - A Girl Called Cerveza

While Tankard, lyrically, are completely tongue-in-cheek their music is some seriously great thrash metal. This release is chock full of tasty thrash riffs and catchy choruses. The lyrics are kind of hokey, but that's what you kind of come to expect from a Tankard album. I guess the song "Witch-Hunt 2.0" is some sort of anti-cyber-bullying anthem () and "The Metal Ladyboy" is, well, kinda self-explanatory, but are kick ass songs one and all and will have you screaming along in no time. Also, at the song "Master of Farces" which I'm pretty sure is about/referencing Newt Gingrich.

Tankard - Rapid Fire (A Tyrant's Elegy)
Tankard - The Metal Ladyboy

28. Anti-Flag - The General Strike

Ah, the Anti-Flag I know and love is back after two lackluster albums. The Bright Lights of America saw Anti-Flag taking a more alt. rock approach that was not interesting in the least and The People or the Gun was just a stale punk by the numbers album. The General Strike shows that Anti-Flag are back to being pissed off at the current state of the world which make the songs feel more genuine, not to mention the songwriting is considerably better on this album than the last few. Anti-Flag have always been my favorite punk band, so I'm really hoping they can continue with this quality in their future releases.

Anti-Flag - The Neoliberal Anthem
Anti-Flag - This Is the New Sound

27. Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

Wino is back and Saint Vitus is sounding as depressive as ever. This album is pretty much exactly like its namesake: a real downer. It's a downer in a good way of course as it succeeds in evoking the proper feelings to fit the music. I could really go without the five to seven minutes throughout the album of filler that doesn't really serve a purpose. It's just kind of lame to have a fifth of your running time be occupied by non-music, but, despite the complaint, the songs more than make up for it.

Saint Vitus - Let Them Fall
Saint Vitus - Blessed Night

26. Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind

Converge, in my eyes, are the masters of melodic chaos. Their music is such a blend of those two elements that at times you can't tell the two apart. Also, the vocal delivery by Jacob Bannon, especially on All We Love We Leave Behind, is so emotional yet so visceral at the same time and his screams work perfectly for the music that Converge plays. This is definitely their best album since 2001's classic Jane Doe (not that any of the albums in between were bad). I've heard a lot of people complain about the album opener, Aimless Arrow, but I think it's the best song on the disc. It gives out a distinctive post-hardcore feel that I dig a lot. This album shows why Converge are still the best band in metalcore.

Converge - Aimless Arrow
Converge - Trespasses
9/12-14 Riot Fest
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation
9/27 Blood Feast