Thread: JRA's 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

JRA's 2012

Oh Shit! The person who started the trend of self-absorbed year in review threads has come to spread his knowledge!

2012 has come to end, we have us a darkie president for four more years and we were not killed by Mayans, Aliens, Nuclear Wars, Nostradamus, racist redneck riots or Justin Beiber. I'm slightly disappointed to be honest. I say we start a fourth reich and feed all the assholes who tried to scare us with that shit for the past FIVE FUCKING YEARS to zee ovens.

So I thought I'd add something other than me picking my favorites from delving into metal's rich history. The problem is when you are doing that,combined with a) not having a car, and b) finishing up college (yes I actually graduated this winter) you don't have much time for anything else. I saw 1 new movie and played 1 new video game. Granted the video game is LONG but christ, the average movie goer sees 8.5 movies a year. Part of the problem with that is I mishear a lot of dialogue and after a while I get frustrated cos I feel like I missed something very important.

I actually would like to assemble something resembling a top 10 new music list, but I need to do some last minute scouting first. In the meantime, let's briefly talk about the one movie I saw this year:

Movie[s]

Who new that the payoff for a four year marketing campaign for Marvel would not only turn out to be good, but one of the funniest movies ever made? People in the theatre were laughing their asses off to this like it was Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me. The even stranger thing is, the lines on their own are stupid as hell, yet even I was laughing right along with everybody! Thor saying "He's adopted"? Samuel L Jackson going "Stupid-ass decision" like a thousand second-rate black comedians? But by Asgard, it fucking worked! Jackson's curse aside, the humor was 99% PG and all brilliant situational comedy. The even stranger thing is I am not even remotely a comic book fan, (and I know much, much less about Joss Whedon) I just wanted to see exactly how big bloated and long this thing would turn out to be. What I thought was going to be a 5 hour fan fic central turned out to be a just shy of 2 and a half hours and I can't really think of anything to chop out. I give Robert Downey Jr. a lot of credit for actually taking a backseat to let everyone shine. The first two Iron Man movies were classics simply by him mugging for the camera so the fact that he actually shows that restraint is a testament to his acting. Brilliant film and a giant fuck you to Dark Knight's super serious sensibilities that seemed to plague comic movie discussion from 2008-09 (a MASSIVE backlash for that movie is coming and Christopher Nolan is going to hang at the gallows, mark my words.) Whenever AFI makes their top 10 "awesome moments in film" list, Loki starting up a speech about not being bullied only to be smashed about by the Hulk will make the top 5. But if the whole damn thing isn't recognized as a classic now, it will be by this time next year.

Last edited by JRA; 12-25-2012 at 06:47 PM.