View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

3. *shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some idiot named Chris Poling

With a title like Plains of the Purple Buffalo, one might be tempted to think that this album would be filled with psychedlia and musical "visions" of mythical creatures the likes of which might only be found in Wonderland. Where the title is perhaps most apt, though, is in the imagery of the "Plains" which are described therein. One typically thinks of a plain as a vast expanse of land, stretching out in every direction as far as the eye can see, and indeed, this album fits that motif perfectly. Within its whopping seventy-six minutes, this album traverses a huge figurative landscape, taking the listener on a sonic journey which explores a range of emotional territories ranging from sadness and longing, to love and loss, to hope and redemption - and best of all - to euphoric victory and outright joy. It sounds like a lot to take in - and trust me, it is - but it's one of the most rewarding musical journeys I have ever experienced. The sheer volume and range of the sounds made by the many and varied instruments on this album (which range from guitars, drums and vocals to keyboards, horns and strings) is nearly overwhelming - but in the best possible way. Not only that, but the orchestration of the instruments is expertly done. It all just seems to fit together so naturally. Nothing is forced - everything has a definite meaning and purpose. To put it as simply and clearly as possible, this album is so absolutely beautiful in many places that it has nearly moved me to tears - literally - on more that one occasion. Enough said.
Source: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2012/juk...ear-end-lists/