View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

11. Skeletonwitch

Bill: Skeletonwitch, Havok, Early Graves, Razormaze
Venue: Great Scott
City: Allston, MA
Date: Thursday, September 20, 2012

And here we go again! This was my third time seeing Skeletonwitch, and my first time seeing them headline. Plus, this venue was MUCH smaller than where I saw them before, so it was pretty awesome. Super intimate, super fun. Plus this was the only show I met someone from this site at this year, our very own Mastodon421 (sucks we didn't meet up at LOG, hope to see you at Wintersun! ).

Up first was a local thrash band named Razormaze. They are pretty generic, nothing special but not too bad either. They have opened the last three shows I've seen at this venue, and I think i enjoy them more each time. decent stuff, good opener for this show.

Early Graves played next, and holy shit were they better than I expected! I had listened to some of their stuff, and I liked it, but their performance was just so great. It definitely made me check them out more, and although I haven't heard their whole album yet (), what I have heard is pretty damn good. I got kicked in the eye by a stagediver, which fucking hurt and I started to see stars and get dizzy, but I was okay after a few minutes. I would love to see them again.

I spent some time talking to Mastodon421 in between the bands, and he's a pretty cool dude. It was nice to be able to talk to kill time, since I end up going to most of these club shows alone . Havok played after Early Graves. I missed some of their set when I saw them open for English Dogs, so I was excited to see a full set (full suppoet set, at least) from them. They are probably one of the better thrash revival bands, and their performance was a lot of fun. Like all the other bands, they got some pretty decent pits going.

Skeletonwitch played last, and I was so happy to see a headlining set from them. The setlist could not have been more amazing. Songs from all their albums, a good amount of songs I had not heard them play before, and all of them sounded fucking incredible . They are such a great live band, entertaining while still sounding just like their albums. I moshed for a bit in the actually pretty rough pits, and stood off to the side for a bit headbanging and watching the great show. I could not have been more pleased by their performance, and I can say this was definitely the best time I saw them. After the show, I gave Mastodon a ride home (it took us awhile but we got there!) then headed home for the night.
11/18 Forward
12/7 Bastard Noise
1/11 Mayhem/Revenge