View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 PM
N00B

Sonata Arctica -- West Springfield, VA -- December 9th, 2012

Full Review, includes pics.

Quick notes:
pretty crowded on the floor (especially for a Sunday night, rainy), not a bad number of people there.

Yesterday's Saints- local opener had their guitar stolen, so they could not play. That really sucked

Arsis came on around 9. I think they were better the last time I saw them with Firewind last year. I didn't know any of the songs they played, but got some info. They were a bit boring to me perhaps because of the songs not being really distinct. There was a bit pit for a few songs they did.

Sonata Arctica was... well they sounded good and had a setlist that I 1/2 wanted to hear. I thought some of their newer songs sounded better live (but only a few ).

While sonically most songs sounded fine, the actual melody (or lack thereof) for many newer songs just didn't move me. It was difficult to hear Black Sheep and get all rowdy, only to be slowed down to 10 miles an hour with the hair band sounding Alone in Heaven (not that that's a really bad thing). Now repeat that about 5 times throughout the night and you have a roller coaster ride that is not exactly a good ride IMO. It's like Dokken playing Lightning Strikes Again, and then following it up with 2 new songs that are not quite good.

Overall a good show, though underwhelming. It was cheap ($15), so I don't really regret that.

Arsis (9:00- 9:35)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)(New song of their Lepers Caress EP)
  • Carve My Cross
  • The Face Of My Innocence

Sonata Arctica (10:03 -11:30)
  • Only the Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful)
  • Black Sheep
  • Alone In Heaven
  • Shitload of Money
  • The Gun
  • The Day
  • I Have a Right
  • The Last Amazing Grays
  • Last Drop Falls
  • short Guitar Solo
  • Paid in Full
  • Losing My Insanity
  • Broken