View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

40. Ex Deo - Caligvla

While Ex Deo get quite a lot of flak in the metal community, I actually enjoy them quite a bit and Caligvla is quite a step up from their borderline "meh" first album. For starters, they added a bunch of symphonic elements, which I'm a sucker for, to their Roman themed death metal to spice up the music a bit and it worked. The symphonics give the music more of an epic feel which is what a band like Ex Deo needs. Maurizio's vocals took a dive in quality though and sound off in a few scattered songs throughout the album.

Ex Deo - I, Caligvla
Ex Deo - Cliff of Tiberius (Exile to Capri)

39. Marduk - Serpent Sermon

Serpent Sermon is a giant step up from Marduk's last full-length, Wormwood, which I though was awful. I'd go so far as to say that this is their best release since their mid-'90s material. This continues Marduk's raw, punishing approach to black metal, but the songs are actually entertaining to listen to. The weak point on the album comes in the form of "Souls for Belial" where the vocalist gets on my nerves when he is continually screaming "for Belial" for a minute or so.

Marduk - Serpent Sermon
Marduk - World of Blades

38. Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme

This album is pretty much a complete mix of the two styles that Dying Fetus does really well; really groove laden songs with slamming breakdowns and technical as fuck mind-melting songs. I've always loved how Dying Fetus can transition seamlessly from overt technicality to grooving brutality. While I don't think Reign Supreme is as great as their last album, Descend Into Depravity, it is a great album for them. John Gallagher is probably also one of my favorite guitarist/vocalists of all-time because of how perfectly his vocals flow with the guitar riffs and this album is no different in that regard.

Dying Fetus - From Womb to Waste
Dying Fetus - Devout Atrocity

37. Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Ame

Neige makes some of the most ethereal and straight up beautiful music that I've ever heard this album is no different. Les Voyages also sees Alcest further distancing itself from its black metal roots in favor of more shoegaze. My favorite Alcest song resides on this disc in Faiseurs De Mondes. I love how even the harsh vocal/black metal section has a beautifully haunting quality to it, Autre Temps might also be one of the most peaceful songs that I've ever heard.

Alcest - Autre Temps
Alcest - Faiseurs De Mondes

36. Grave - Endless Procession of Souls

Grave are back with their follow-up to 2010's Burial Ground and I think this one blows Burial Ground out of the water. I personally found Burial Ground to be a bit boring, but Endless Procession of Souls is a great mix of crushing riffs like the one in Flesh Epistle and brutal grooves like the last forty five seconds of Passion of the Weak and is entertaining all the way through. Also, the guitar sound on this album is just perfect for their type of death metal in my opinion.

Grave - Passion of the Weak
Grave - Perimortem

Check out Flesh Epistle and Winds of Chains too. Those two were the original two tracks I was going to put up, but I couldn't find them on Youtube for some reason.
9/6 Weekend Nachos
9/12 Sete Star Sept
9/19 Despise You
9/20 Revocation