View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:34 AM
That Guy

281.) A Hero, A Fake- The Future Again

Progressive Metalcore. I just heard of these guys this year and I gotta say this is pretty fantastic stuff. Its too Metalcore to be Prog, its too Prog to be Metalcore. Its a great combination of both. This album isn't for everyone as both Metalcore fans and Prog fans will see something not to like about this, but being a fan of both, this is right up my alley and it kicks ass. Definitely underrated and worth the listen.

9/10

282.) The Casualties- Resistance

Like NOFX earlier in this thread, The Casualties do their brand of Punk Rock and do it well. Its very hardcore as well, especially in the vocals. It like most Punk Rock is not the most original, but it fits the mood and its fast and fun to listen to, and sometimes that's all you need to have. Punk fans, if you don't have this yet, you are missing out.

8/10

283.) Horn Of The Rhino- Grengus

Stoner Metal, Doom Metal and Soundgarden style Hard Rock. Stoner Grunge Metal? I guess that's a good way to call it. Horn Of The Rhino is a very damn heavy band that pulls no punches, they play what they wanna play, and they do it well. This is a fun record that has a lot of dynamics and tempo changes that are missing this style of music. I think I've seen 3 people talk about this album which is just sad because it is so damn good. Check it out for yourself and enjoy!

8/10

284.) Panzerballet- Tank Goodness

This is one heavily messed up album. It is Progressive Metal for sure, Djenty at times but its as if Frank Zappa discovered Djent and made an album in that style. There is also a messed up cover of the theme from Dirty Dancing on this album, it's so out there, it's awesome. Mattias from Freak Kitchen also guest vocals on a song and plays a badass solo. It's not your typical Prog album, this Zappa inspired Prog Metal.

9/10

285.) Emmanuel And The Fear- The Janus Mirror

One of my favorite non-metal discoveries of the year. Emmanuel And The Fear are back and they made an epic album to say the least. it covers the whole gambit of Music from pop to classical to Orchestral to Folk to Post... its just a fantastic album. While I do like the first album more than anything else, this album is awesome as well and just as good. I highly recommend these guys for when you are in a non-metal mood. You'll be glad you did.

9/10

286.) Marduk- Serpent Sermon

One of the first real Black metal bands I got into besides Emperor and Dimmu Borgir. I will always have a soft spot for Marduk. They have two speeds, mid tempo and fast as hell. They don't need anything else. This album is just as blasphemous as the rest of their discography. its just simply good evil Black Metal. It really fits the mood for when you need a little evil in you.

8/10

287.) Hypomanie- Calm Down, You Weren't Set On Fire

Instrumental Blackgaze. there's no better way i can put it. Black Metal, Shoegaze and Post Rock all done instrumentally. I think this album could be a good gateway for Post Rock fans to get into Black Metal and vice versa. This is done very dynamically and with a lot of great songwriting. Instrumental fans should love this album upon listening to it, or at least I hope they would. Simply put its a great mood album that you may enjoy if this entices you.

8/10

288) Abraham- The Serpent, The Prophet, The Whore

Do you wish the Ocean stayed as a Sludge Metal band? They would be Abraham. This is the closest thing I have heard to anyone sounding like The Ocean. Very Dynamic Sludge Metal that captures your interest no matter what style of music you are into. I am surprised to not see many people talk about these guys as they are fantastic. Maybe within the next year and possible touring they can get the fan base they deserve. One can only hope so, until then check this out and love it.

9/10

289.) Daniel Jakubovic- Surrounded By A Million Goats

Last year's album Elef Kirot, is one of my favorite albums of all time. It is the perfect blend of Pop Rock and Prog Metal. Surrounded By A Million Goats is a lot more subdued of an album. It is quite good but it takes a few listens to really appreciate it. Not to say there isn't some rockin' songs on it, but it's not like Elef Kirot. It seems as though all the heavy from that album went onto the new album from Daniel's other band Against the Wall (which will be coming up eventually). Its like how Aaron Lew is keeping all the heavy music for Staind now and the light stuff is for his solo work. not a bad idea when done right, and like everything Mr. Jakubovic does, he nailed it out of the park. Great job sir, great job!

8/10

290.) Ensiferum- Unsung Heroes

There is Viking Metal like Amon Amarth, there is Viking Metal like Enslaved. And then there is Ensiferum. They are one of the bands that you either see the absolute epicness of their style, or you hate it. Just like Wintersun in many ways. I for one love them and are quite happy they are headlining Paganfest this year. They've earned it. The new album is bloody awesome, literally, lots of blood spilled lyrically on this one. Its the right amount of folky, with lots of Viking Power. If you haven't heard these guys before, start with this album and check out the rest, if you aren't into this, you're missing out on some very badass metal.

9/10

291.) Winterfylleth- The Threnody Of Triumph

One of the best Black Metal, Atmospheric Metal bands you will ever hear in your life. This is the crowning achievement of this style of music and it will be amazingly hard to beat. Like I have eluded to many times, this barely missed my Top 20 list because of late entries. But DAMN this is phenomenal. Rather then just go on and on about how good this is, you should check it out for yourself. If you like Alcest, Deafheaven or other Atmospheric Black Metal bands, this will be your new favorite (unless you like the Post Rock side more).

9.5/10

292.) Ahab- The Giant

As the name of the band and the album title eludes to, this is big epic Doom Metal about the leviathan, Moby Dick. Maybe not entirely lyrically but all you gotta do is look at the names, haha. This is slow and crushing Doom Metal that takes you on an epic voyage. this is definitely only for Doom fans and those who may be intrigued to check out doom Metal, if you hate Doom Metal you'll hate this, if you like it, you'll love this.

8/10

293.) Jute Gyte- Isolation

This is an oddball album for me. It's a black Metal album, without question but it's played like a Hard Rock album. Like if you took a few random hard Rock artists and asked them to put together a Black Metal album. It's quite brilliant. The songs are longer, the longest being 11 minutes, but it feels catchy and very enjoyable. One of those odd albums you wouldn't expect unless you heard it. Take a chance and check this out. I'm glad I did.

8/10

294.) Oedipus- Viscous Little Smile

This again is a very experimental Hard Rock album. Like a few other albums mentioned in this thread, they are taking Hard Rock ideas and taking them to unexplored territory. Punk Rock, Hardcore, Prog Rock, Prog Rock, Pop Rock all formed into one sound that is rarely if ever heard. It takes a couple listens to grasp onto everything going on on this album, but it's worth it if you give it the chance. its a very refreshing album that more bands in hard Rock should be striving for.

9/10

295.) Disrhythmia- Test Of Submission

When they aren't doing Vaura, Dysrhythmia is hard at work making Instrumental Progressive Metal, and they created another damn fine album this time around. I love these guys but I haven't been too much into them just basically due to lack of time (think about it, this is my 295th album of 2012 music I have reviewed, without including the rest, my top 20, and non 2012 music I discovered) but with every album I have heard they write fantastic music that proves you can create great Metal without vocals. At times it gets a little one sided but that is to be expected unless you strive to be as diverse as possible. But an album at a time, they hit it out of the park.

8/10

296.) Undersmile- Narwhal

Like Ahab before them in this thread, Undersmile writes some crushing Sludgy, Doomy Drone Metal. If Sun O))) added a drummer and played somewhat faster, they would be Undersmile. this is a heavy and crushing album that will put your speakers through a workout. I love this to death and is one of the best Doom Metal albums of the year. A bit much to hear all at once, but worth it.

9/10

297.) Daylight Dies- Frail Becoming

The American Opeth are back at it again and damn did they write a masterpiece. A lot more diverse this time around, Frail becoming takes their dark evil Progressive Death Metal and expands upon it like never before. If you miss what Opeth used to be in Progressive Death Metal (I love their Prog Rock style now, but I miss the old stuff as well) there is Daylight Dies to help ease the pain. Dismantling Devotion is still my favorite Daylight Dies album, but is BY FAR my other favorite album from the band. So hauntingly beautiful. Please check these guys out,t hey should be on headlining tours by now, Lets get them there!

9.5/10

298.) Words Of Farewell- Immersion

Pretty damn cool Progressive Melodic Death Metal. I didn't know about these guys till I got the promo but I am very impressed. I guess a good way to describe them after repeated listens is Wintersun meets Insomnium with some Opeth thrown in for good measure. I really hope these guys make it big with this or their next album, because this is so very damn impressive and deserves some touring exposure. If you dig Melodic Death Metal and some Prog, check these guys out, it's very much worth it.

9/10

299.) Legacy Of Disorder- Last Man Standing

I loved these guys when I got this album, I loved them even more when I saw them live, and became some of my favorite people to hang out with when I drank with them during Devildriver's set during their tour with GWAR. Legacy of Disorder, in my humble opinion takes the best parts of Testament and Lamb Of God, and makes it their own brand of New Zealand Thrash Metal. These guys are only going to be getting bigger and better. and should be on some pretty big tours next year. Be sure to check them out, they are awesome!

8/10

300.) Low-Pass- Trimurti

If Hella had Melody and Harmony. this is Math Rock for the Post Rock crowd. It's nowhere near as crazy as Hella but there are still those elements in there, somewhat like Don Caballero used to be. While this is another album I haven't got to sit down with much,e very time I've heard it, I loved it and definitely fit the mood every time. For some accessible Math Rock, check this out.

8/10

DAAAAAAMN! 300 albums. And I am still in for another 4GBs of music, my top 20 and other albums that I may or may not add. It's sad to see this thread almost come to the end. But I am also relived I can sit back and relax eventually sometime soon.